• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

High idle and slight hesatation when cold, Getting Tired Of This

Yes, but I dont want to potentially start a fire by spraying onto a hot engine..

I've never had a problem, besides our UIM and parts attached should not be that hot anyway...

Before you go buying parts you may not need i would try that...

Do you guys think that I should get a non oem for $41.79, or OEM for $69.79? I am sure if there is any problems with the non oem one that rock auto will take it back..
OEM all the way. Sometimes you have to figure it as how much is your time worth. If you have a problem with non OEM, you've got to remove it and get another one. This can open the door for potentially creating another problem while your in there moving stuff around, etc. To me, it isn't worth it to save a few bucks but end up doing double the work.
Karl

I called rockauto, the oem and aftermarket have the same warranty, so if either of them go out 1 day after the first 12 months your still in the same boat, SOL.
I sprayed the UIM today, and the engine idled the same, Ill give the IAC a try.

Autozone has these also for $38 Wells brand. I can appreciate using the OEM but sometimes the budget over rides. Note I found IAC at the junk yard (free) stuffed full of white residue from the intake it was half attached. I told the guy at the yard it's proably not good. I clean it out looked great so replaced my original that was getting worn and buzzing. MIRaCLE- it idles awesome ever since. I only tried it as "Ah what the heck" let see what it does?
The IAC tuning plumbing looks like one on mine (07/98), the one on my 08/98 looks much simpler. I keep looking for one at the junk yard but this area does have enough CEG'ers. demand Of course the 08/98 has a couple software revisions (levels) from my 07/97, might not work??? Not sure how critical that is, that an the changes are proprietary even the dealers repair shop is refused the info. I know he has complained about to me and Ford. Car buffs $#@#%@$ we all just love "proprietary"? ;)
TNX

The IAC tuning plumbing looks like one on mine (07/98), the one on my 08/98 looks much simpler. I keep looking for one at the junk yard but this area does have enough CEG'ers. demand Of course the 08/98 has a couple software revisions (levels) from my 07/97, might not work??? Not sure how critical that is, that an the changes are proprietary even the dealers repair shop is refused the info. I know he has complained about to me and Ford. Car buffs $#@#%@$ we all just love "proprietary"? ;)
TNX

For some reason my ecm was reflashed, would this cause any problems with a new aftermarket iac? I dont see why it would, I could always return this one and get an OEM one.

These after markets should be built to the same internal/dimensions that shouldn't cause a problem. Being a stick does your have that extra cable running from the throttle cable over to the passenger side fender and down to vacuum unit? I haven't seen many sticks I had a friends daughters 95 in my garage and that cable was sticking. It probably only on the 95's what an abortion that was, not even sure what is was for?

These after markets should be built to the same internal/dimensions that shouldn't cause a problem. Being a stick does your have that extra cable running from the throttle cable over to the passenger side fender and down to vacuum unit? I haven't seen many sticks I had a friends daughters 95 in my garage and that cable was sticking. It probably only on the 95's what an abortion that was, not even sure what is was for?
Yes It does, im not sure what that is either. I thought they all had that on the pass. side.

Yes It does, im not sure what that is either. I thought they all had that on the pass. side.

Isn't that the traction control box ? at least that's what i thought it was...the throttle cable from the pedal goes in one side and then a cable comes out the other side and goes to the tb...

Yup traction control!

Yup traction control!

:rolleyes: Ah yes forgot all about that, been told that was early tech stepper motor. Haven't found out when that replaced, ubnpast- curious what is the build date on you car? might be an early 96 this vehicle has had so many running changes or I've found so much on this car because of this site over years. It's probably not usually just fact CEG'ers been privileged to much inside info.
UBNPAST I can't find anything on the hook-up should be able to un-hook cable at TB end to eliminate that.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Ah yes forgot all about that, been told that was early tech stepper motor. Haven't found out when that replaced, ubnpast- curious what is the build date on you car? might be an early 96 this vehicle has had so many running changes or I've found so much on this car because of this site over years. It's probably not usually just fact CEG'ers been privileged to much inside info.
UBNPAST I can't find anything on the hook-up should be able to un-hook cable at TB end to eliminate that.

I replaced the IAC and the problem still exists, do I have to reset the ecu at all? Car still idles high when moving and in neutral. I cant find the build date on the window sticker, ill have to look at the door jamb tommorow..

Anyone else know?

I replaced the IAC and the problem still exists, do I have to reset the ecu at all? Car still idles high when moving and in neutral. I cant find the build date on the window sticker, ill have to look at the door jamb tommorow..

Anyone else know?
Yes, you need to reset the computer.

Build date should be on the driver's door jamb sticker.
Karl

I pulled the cable off at the throttle body, it goes over to the pass side, that is for the cruise control..
Yes, you need to reset the computer.
Build date should be on the driver's door jamb sticker.
Karl

Build date is 8/1995, car is a 96

Last edited:
Back