• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear defrost

SVTRacer

Hard-core CEG'er
for some odd reason my rear defrost doesnt work.

i've replaced the fuse and let the car run and when i try to click it, the radio(aftermarket) flickers and then the fuse blows again.

dad thought it was the relay so we replaced that and it still blew out and the radio flickered.

maybe the wiring got crossed up with the radio?

any help appreciated.

p.s- its a '98 black csvt 134,xxx miles.

Most likely. Get behind there and check it out. All those wires run together right by the steering column. Just need to remove the panel under the steering wheel.

especially if some dumb ass who installed the aftermarket radio decided it would be cool to hack up the factory wiring harness :nonono:

dad took the car in the garage the other day and pulled the radio out. apprently the previous owner or the one before that had a sub and amp put in because the amp part was still wired and i have the wires running to the trunk with no sub/amp. he took it out and its still having problems...so im not sure what to do....

if you keep blowing a fuse, you definately have a wiring issue. More than liekly it is grounding out somewhere.

I would suggest to not continue replacing the fuse until you've gone through the entire harness and grounding points and have corrected any problems. If you didn't do that, you may cause a fire. And that would be sad, ya know?

It's purely a shot in the dark, but check out this topic I made last week. The wire sits pretty loose in my car and goes to the defrost grid. Check all the wires around there to see nothing is loose/disconnected.

Like I said, a shot in the dark and it's unlikely it's related, but worth a try.

Back