• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MAF and rough idle

Telegrapher

New CEG'er
1996 Contour 2.5 L

Has anyone fixed a rough idle condition by replacing the MAF sensor?

Tks.

1996 Contour 2.5 L

Has anyone fixed a rough idle condition by replacing the MAF sensor?

Tks.

unplug the MAF.. does it get better?

I'd look more in to plugs, wires, and the like..

You didn't mention what you HAVE tried, so I wouldn't know what to offer as a possibility....

HAS anyone EVER fixed a rough idle by replacing a MAF? surely SOMEONE has, but how is that relevant to YOUR problem.. Try stating YOUR exact problem, symptoms, conditions that make it worse, or better (temps? speeds? gears? throttle positions?) and what you have done already to fix it...

Unplug the MAF sensor

Unplug the MAF sensor

Thank you. What exactly does unplugging the MAF sensor accomplish?

The MAF sensor supplies air mass amounts to the PCM.. if the sensor is wacky, you can send the wrong amounts.

unplugging the MAF (and the PCM sees this) causes the PCM to revert to a base set of tables that are preprogrammed in to the PCM itself.

basically, instead of HAVING the information about air mass and working to provide appropriate amounts of fuel FOR that amount, the car DEDUCES how much air you must have been getting by supplying a known amount of fuel and SEEING how your car reacts.

like reverse engineering to figure out how much air you have with no MAF to tell you so.

Anyway, since the car reverts to a base set.. you will see an increase in idle quality IF your MAF is related to the problem. If the problem remains, look elsewhere... If it betters, try cleaning the MAF sensor element and the MAF connector plug wires.

PS: you still didn't describe your SPECIFIC problem, symptoms, conditions, recent attempts to solve it, etc.

it helps us ALL for future reference if you will add to the knowledgebase by doing so..

Unplug the MAF sensor

Unplug the MAF sensor

Thank you for the explanation. I'll give it a try and report back.

As for the problem, it idles roughly. There are no other drivability issues. I previously posted the problem and was hoping someone had a similar problem and fixed it with a MAF sensor replacement. Does someone here have first hand knowledge a MAF sensor replacement cured a rough idle condition? I already cleaned the MAF sensor and noticed no change.

The car had a complete tune-up (i.e. plugs, wires, fuel & air filters, PCV and ignition coil).

The front oxygen sensor was replaced as well as the TPS and IAC.

Vacuum hoses were checked for leaks and none were found.

I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake manifold while idling and noted no change.

I applied vacuum to the EGR valve at idle and the engine died.

The throttle body was cleaned.

I discovered one cam had slipped out of alignment, so that was corrected.

There are no CEL codes.

The engine has good compression in each cylinder.

Unplugging MAF sensor results

Unplugging MAF sensor results

There was no significant change in the idle with the MAF sensor disconnected. I drove it for a couple of miles and anticipated a CEL, but it never came. I noticed a slight lag on initial acceleration though.

Cam sprocket slip

Cam sprocket slip

please explain this more, did you retime the engine?

I consulted with two Ford journeyman mechanics. They both said it is not uncommon for a cam to slip out of time. The cam timing sprockets are not keyed and slip.

I'm told the typical symptom for this is poor acceleration, but I didn't have that problem. After correcting the timing on my car, the idle improved slightly.

Almost everything I've done so far has improved the idle slightly. However, it still isn't right.

I consulted with two Ford journeyman mechanics. They both said it is not uncommon for a cam to slip out of time. The cam timing sprockets are not keyed and slip.

I'm told the typical symptom for this is poor acceleration, but I didn't have that problem. After correcting the timing on my car, the idle improved slightly.

Almost everything I've done so far has improved the idle slightly. However, it still isn't right.

never heard of a cam gear slipping on the cam. also poor acceleration may not be a side effect of bad timing, I know of a recently fixed 3L that idled very rough but ran great otherwise, the timing was off.

I bet the timing is still off on the motor.

so discribe the "rough" idle

Back