• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need computer help...

TUFTOUR

Hard-core CEG'er
I got some lame trojan virus on my computer last night...I'm using Microsoft Live OnCare, but it's only partially taken care of the problem..."trojandownloader" and various adware/malware keep popping up and I can't seem to get it off my computer. I started getting repeated popups from companies that advertise software to get rid of my virus...I suspect they are the ones who installed the virus in the first place.

I've done the obvious things like deleting suspicious files, but the stupid thing keeps returning. Ang will most likely take it in to work on Monday to have her IT guys fix it, but I'm wondering if anyone has some good ideas to take care of it sooner.

I did a free Norton's download...seemed to take care of most of it, but now my computer seems a little slow...:(

get ad-aware and spybot and that might help some.

make sure cookie controll is set to block 3rd party cookies and have it prompt for first party and only allow it if you know what its for/from.

might also dl zonealarm if you are not running any other firewall, again only allow internet access only if you know what it is

Last edited:
Download AVG. It's a GREAT free antivirus program. Screw Norton. Also, I have found that doing a system restore got rid of any Trojan's my home pc got :shrug: .

AVG from Grisoft (thats close google it) there is a free version which does a pretty damn good job.

Also Spybot - Search and Destory, another free great program.

I suggest avoiding norton...I have never found it to be helpful at all, it generally lags computers that its installed on, and usually if norton even catches the problem, it gives a bubble that says it can't do poop, except for the fact it knows you have a virus...:nonono:

Yes, AVG Free is awesome. I have yet to get any type of virus since downloading it (3+ years ago). Sometimes though, it thinks Java has infected files after updating it.

AVAST! is what I use and its 100% free for home use. Keeps all my computers virus free.

Good call, I forgot about Avast. I have also heard good things about this. But yeah, about the Norton thing...It likes to do automatic CRAP all the effing time. It is NOT user-friendly, and has a mind of its own that you cannot control very well AND it KILLS the speed of the computer. My ping doubles when it runs its LuCallBackProxy.exe, which runs auto-downloads that "add protection." :nonono:

AVG isn't all that good guys, most head to head reviews with other pay solutions show that its real time protection lags a few days to a few weeks behind with definitions. Paul, you should really look into running some sort of virus scan like avast or housecall in safe mode. Also look into spyboot / ad-aware / windows defender for the spyware problem. If you are going to spend the money, norton is what i'd suggest. Their new version looks for spyware too (i think its 10.5 for the corporate edition or 2008 for the retail version). Though avoid their internet security, the firewall and other stuff that comes with it junks up your system like none other.

Housecall - http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
AVG - free.grisoft.com

Well, I would assume a free virus protection solution wouldn't be as up-to-date as something you pay for. If I were paying for one, I would hope I'm getting my money's worth.

Between AVG Free and my Zone Alarm, I haven't had to worry about anything for quite some time.

AVG isn't all that good guys, most head to head reviews with other pay solutions show that its real time protection lags a few days to a few weeks behind with definitions. Paul, you should really look into running some sort of virus scan like avast or housecall in safe mode. Also look into spyboot / ad-aware / windows defender for the spyware problem. If you are going to spend the money, norton is what i'd suggest. Their new version looks for spyware too (i think its 10.5 for the corporate edition or 2008 for the retail version). Though avoid their internet security, the firewall and other stuff that comes with it junks up your system like none other.

Housecall - http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
AVG - free.grisoft.com

I did the Trendmicro Housecall 6.6...picked up some of it...the system restore sounds like a good idea, though...and I haven't tried AVG, yet...

Just did AVG and it worked pretty well...computer seems a little slower, but I'm going to defrag to see if it helps. The only nagging problem I have is that I can't get rid of the icon name backgrounds on my desktop. The backgrounds appeared right before all the stuff started and "use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop" is already turned on...any suggestions?

edit: my 1000th post...now I'm hardcore! :laugh:

Last edited:
Just did AVG and it worked pretty well...computer seems a little slower, but I'm going to defrag to see if it helps. The only nagging problem I have is that I can't get rid of the icon name backgrounds on my desktop. The backgrounds appeared right before all the stuff started and "use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop" is already turned on...any suggestions?

edit: my 1000th post...now I'm hardcore! :laugh:

Sounds like some tough spyware. Download the free version of superantispyware. Be sure to update the definitions before the scan. After the scan, run it again.

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Set up a VM session for when you surf to questionable sites, ahem. Once completed, ah surfing, end the VM and be confident nothing happened to the host OS. No need for AV or any of that crap!

a virtual machine. It's basically a virtual computer that runs on top of your operating system. Do a google for vmware i believe its called.

Back