• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

yet another deer hit

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
deer-0 car-1
my friend that lives out in Montana for school was hit by a deer at 70mph. out there he was told to keep the wheel strait and not swerve when hitting a deer. i guess thats when people get hurt. he said if you don't hold the wheel strait the deer can push the car off the road.
hes fine and no air bags went off.

deer was killed.
he wanted to keep the deer for food as he hunts there. but the law does not allow it. if he was caught with a un-tagged deer he would be screwed. that and the law is no road kill is allowed for food.

poor Taurus. 01 i think, but at 70mph thats not much damage.:shocked: we have a fun summer project.:laugh:

2007_111211-12-07Melstone0174.jpg

Last edited:
Must have been a small deer. My car was a little more accordian looking at 70 mph. And in good ole MN, if you call up the DNR after you hit a deer and ask them if you can keep it, they normally say yes. They don't want a rotting deer on the side of the road attracting wolves and other critters.

Same in Wisconsin; you have to call the DNR first. The local news just had a segment the other day about the high risk of deer collisions this time of year; my county alone (a small county for WI) is averaging about 5 collisions per day. I saw two at the road's edge late last night. The police officer they intereviewed also said don't swerve, brake as hard as you can, and hit the deer if you have to.

A prime example of what happens when you swerve:

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=15654

What school in Montana, SVTJON? I'm a U of Montana alum.

One night in Missoula, on my home in my green Taurus SHO that I had at the time, I looked out the passenger's window and saw a large deer head approaching the car at a good clip. Assuming it was attached to a similarly large deer body, I cut the wheel left, in the hope that I could widen the distance between the car and the deer, be able to get past him and have him go behind the car, rather than smack into the door / fender the way he was headed.

The plan almost worked flawlessly. The deer took a flying leap over the trunk, and somewhere in there, a bit of his weight landed on the decklid, but that was all. There was no external damage, though the event perforated the sheetmetal around the trunk latch bolts, a minor injury easily fixed with some washers from Ace Hardware.

Glad to hear your friend is alright. All the best getting the Taurus back to normal. :cool:

The police officer they intereviewed also said don't swerve, brake as hard as you can, and hit the deer if you have to.

I've always heard to brake and hit the dear, there's a good chance of loosing control of the car if you swerve. Also have heard that a lot of insurance companies won't cover damages to the vehicle if you swerved to miss a dear and end up slamming into a tree or something.

Side note, my mother-in-law hit (more like clipped)a dear in their 99 Taurus (car was only about a year old) with the front right corner, didn't sound bad, until about 5-10 seconds later when it landed on her roof and the proceeded to slide down the windshield and off the hood (car not totaled). She wasn't even going but 30 as she was slowing down from seeing other deer cross the road.

I'll try to post some pics of the car later if I still have them.

Last edited:
My GF had a deer run into her front driver fender, Its still damaged.

I was coming back from snowboarding w/ my brother in my Plymoth Horizon beater. It was white w/ red shelby stripes. Anyways, I had three run out infront of me managed to hit one. Slammed on my breaks and sent that thing flying out infront of me a good 20 ft. We drove it home, light looking out into the side fields, hood like an acordian. I think we replaced the radiator and fixed up like NASCAR and drove it for another season. I hearted that POS until I couldnt get in the car no more.

deer was a buck. not to big.

What school in Montana, SVTJON? I'm a U of Montana alum.

One night in Missoula, on my home in my green Taurus SHO that I had at the time, I looked out the passenger's window and saw a large deer head approaching the car at a good clip. Assuming it was attached to a similarly large deer body, I cut the wheel left, in the hope that I could widen the distance between the car and the deer, be able to get past him and have him go behind the car, rather than smack into the door / fender the way he was headed.

The plan almost worked flawlessly. The deer took a flying leap over the trunk, and somewhere in there, a bit of his weight landed on the decklid, but that was all. There was no external damage, though the event perforated the sheetmetal around the trunk latch bolts, a minor injury easily fixed with some washers from Ace Hardware.

Glad to hear your friend is alright. All the best getting the Taurus back to normal. :cool:

YES Missoula! he would be a JR now. i have not been out there but the pics are beautiful! i love that valley

Last edited:
Back