• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speedo, Odo, Fuel Gauge not working

dfrank

New CEG'er
About a week ago, the fuel gauge, speedometer and the odometer quit working on my 1998 SVT. I believe it is electrical, because oddly enough, the cruise control system still works (and how would it work if the system didn't know how fast the car was travelling...)

During one use after a fillup, the gauges "came back" and started working again. But soon thereafter, everything quit again, speedo at 0, odo not turning, and the fuel gauge to "3/4" like a stopped clock.

I found a lot of instances in search where the odo gear was out, but if that were the case, wouldn't the fuel gauge still work? All of this seemed to fail as a piece.

dash electrical questions

dash electrical questions

That is a good idea. But it didn't pan out, unfortunately. Or else, I just ran out of time.

I got the instrument cluster off, and there are two large electrical harnesses -- one left, and one right. The right one, apparently, would go to the odo, speedo, and fuel gauge, and the lights on the right side.

I made sure the right instrument cluster harness was seated, which it really wasn't -- the wires tug at it. Not hard, but why don't these things clip on? U'd think Ford would not want a loose odometer wire.

Reconnected the battery and started the car. The fuel gauge, however, did not come alive -- even as I held the harness tight -- causing me to think problem is further upstream. The right electrical harness wire group went to the right just below the top of the dash. Then I had to reassemble the dash in order to use the car.

Could it be voltage/ground? Should I be researching fuses? The "little old lady low miles" fuse?

Any ideas/similar experiences/thoughts, thanks. Is there a panel or distribution point? Am aware of the dash fuse box -- is there some other additional distribution point for dash/cabin electricals?

So, the speedo and the odometer works now? If yes, try the remove and reinstall "trick" again. Maybe this time the connector will "connect" better.

So, the speedo and the odometer works now? If yes, try the remove and reinstall "trick" again. Maybe this time the connector will "connect" better.
they are supposed to lock into the gauge cluster. if you can freely pull them out without pressing the little tab then that is almost definitely your problem. like Tony said try reinstalling the connectors again. make sure they "click" in when you press them in.

I had this problem for a while. I would just pull a Fonzie and whack the dash, and the gauges would jump to life. It happened a couple of times, and nothing since, so it's all coool

fonzie.jpg

This happens to me also. When the gauges come back to life the Low Fuel light comes on for about 5 seconds and then everything works again. I have noticed that if I am driving and the speedo is past the 12 o'clock position that the needle will fall to the right side of the speedo.

I was trying to track down what caused it by keeping a log when I noticed it happen, but it was so random that I never determined the cause.

My car is a 98 V6 5 Speed GL w/ 150k. I do have a SVT Gauge cluster that I swapped in when it first happend but it did it with that cluster also so I figured it had nothing to do with the gauge cluster and something else in the car.

Same Problem

Same Problem

I am having the same problem with my '98 SVT. Did anyone get anywhere on this? I pulled the guage cluster out, checked the connections, which seemed ok, but then they didn't work at all for a few days. Now they are working - more or less...

This car had been fantastic, but it seems that once it hit 100,000 miles all hell broke loose.

Always a good idea to spray connections/plugs when open with a good electrical contact cleaner, or if none available, even wd-40.

Mike

Has anyone found the cause of why the speedo quits but when it works the fuel light comes on? i also have this problem 98 GL I4 automatic 115,500mi. also when i turn the key on i can tell if the speedo will work or not by if the fuel light comes on with the key or not.

reading you description, you fuel level is controled by a signal to ground. no signal tank full, complete (under 5ohm) tank empty. So id say its a ground problem and or a short. :shrug:

i also had the code [FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0460[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Fuel Level Input circuit malfunction[/FONT] could this have something to do with it?

Back