• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I want remote start on my SVT

ahowie

CEG'er
i live in michigan and i want to put a remote start on my car.. went to the store and they said since my car is a manual they cant install a remote start, can i do it myself? are there only certain alarms that will work for a MTX?

i live in michigan and i want to put a remote start on my car.. went to the store and they said since my car is a manual they cant install a remote start, can i do it myself? are there only certain alarms that will work for a MTX?

Certain places won't do it I've heard. Depends what state you're in. You can do it yourself or find someplace that will put it in. Any starter can work on a manual trans, but you want to get one made for manual's to prevent it from starting if you accidentally leave it in gear. :cool:

Please refer to sig... :cool:

i've thought about doing it, but i have a habit of leaving my car in gear all the time, i never really use the e-brake unless i leave the car running to go do something quick. i would guess the remote starts would have some sort of built-in safety feature so the car would not start while in gear.

I had remote start for a couple of years. It's the best mod and got lots of attention from people.

Some places won't do it on a manual but many will.

i've thought about doing it, but i have a habit of leaving my car in gear all the time, i never really use the e-brake unless i leave the car running to go do something quick. i would guess the remote starts would have some sort of built-in safety feature so the car would not start while in gear.

It's a really easy habit to break... I did it... or you can get some remote start units that require you to put the e-brake on, leave the car running and then get out and when you shut the door the car locks and arms itself that way you couldn't really screw up leaving it in gear....

you can get some remote start units that require you to put the e-brake on, leave the car running and then get out and when you shut the door the car locks and arms itself that way you couldn't really screw up leaving it in gear....

I had a Design Tech remote start unit added to the alarm system on my last car that had a manual transmission. It was fool proof but not idiot proof. The process that you had to follow when exiting your car was:
1) park car with e-brake applied, car in neutral, engine running.
2) throw toggle switch to tell system to take over ignition.
3) turn off key, remove it (engine is still running)
4) exit vehicle, arm security, turn off engine from remote

If the next thing that happened with the security system was not pushing the button to start the engine (such as disarming the system or opening a door using the key to unlock which should trigger the alarm), the remote start was disabled.

This system was fool proof, but not idiot proof. If you correctly followed the steps to activate the remote start but left a window down so you (or someone else) could reach in and place the transmission in gear, the system would still briefly attempt to start the car, causing it to lurch. Fortunately I had a proximity sensor in addition to the shock sensor so if anyone stuck their hand in an open window while the system was armed, the alarm would sound anyway thus disabling the remote start.

Also, if you happened to not go through the process above to turn off your car, you could not use the remote start either. This was irritating at first, but I quickly got in the habit of going through the steps every time I left the car. It was not a big deal, though I occasionally got some funny looks in busy public parking lots

I had a Design Tech remote start unit added to the alarm system on my last car that had a manual transmission. It was fool proof but not idiot proof. The process that you had to follow when exiting your car was:
1) park car with e-brake applied, car in neutral, engine running.
2) throw toggle switch to tell system to take over ignition.
3) turn off key, remove it (engine is still running)
4) exit vehicle, arm security, turn off engine from remote

If the next thing that happened with the security system was not pushing the button to start the engine (such as disarming the system or opening a door using the key to unlock which should trigger the alarm), the remote start was disabled.

This system was fool proof, but not idiot proof. If you correctly followed the steps to activate the remote start but left a window down so you (or someone else) could reach in and place the transmission in gear, the system would still briefly attempt to start the car, causing it to lurch. Fortunately I had a proximity sensor in addition to the shock sensor so if anyone stuck their hand in an open window while the system was armed, the alarm would sound anyway thus disabling the remote start.

Also, if you happened to not go through the process above to turn off your car, you could not use the remote start either. This was irritating at first, but I quickly got in the habit of going through the steps every time I left the car. It was not a big deal, though I occasionally got some funny looks in busy public parking lots

That's what I did with mine at first, I was paranoid I'd leave it in gear... so what I would do is have the car running, then push the star twice for the remote start to take over, get out of the car, shut the door, remotely shut off the car then arm it... that way I knew when I got it, that it was running and out of gear... eventually I just knew that I left it out of gear, and if anyone else used it, I just don't remote start it unless i've driven it last...

well i dont let anyone drive my car, and im not too worried about leaving it in gear. i always use the e brake anyway, ill just put a sticky note on my door handle or something about leaving it in neutral.. haha but i have called like four places and they everyone says they cant do it. maybe i should just do the install myself.

well i dont let anyone drive my car, and im not too worried about leaving it in gear. i always use the e brake anyway, ill just put a sticky note on my door handle or something about leaving it in neutral.. haha but i have called like four places and they everyone says they cant do it. maybe i should just do the install myself.

Yeah... good luck finding a place that will do it... and if they will... it's gonna be way more expensive b/c it's a manual...

personally i would not recommend doing a remote start by yourself if you have never done one before... you can screw up a lot of stuff if you connect the wrong wires up and with a chipped key i am pretty sure a immobilizer bypass module will be required along with a 3rd key that is chipped and programed....

personally i would not recommend doing a remote start by yourself if you have never done one before... you can screw up a lot of stuff if you connect the wrong wires up and with a chipped key i am pretty sure a immobilizer bypass module will be required along with a 3rd key that is chipped and programed....

Actually not.... 1. the most you ever need for doing fords is 2 keys..... 2. the 1100F PATS bypass module used 4 wires on my pats plug and claimed it needed 2 keys to program buy my car only came with one... and it programmed just fine with one key... the newer XK series immobilizer bypasses made by express kit should be able to bypass strictly on data and are much easier to use than the 1100F PATS bypass...

Actually not.... 1. the most you ever need for doing fords is 2 keys..... 2. the 1100F PATS bypass module used 4 wires on my pats plug and claimed it needed 2 keys to program buy my car only came with one... and it programmed just fine with one key... the newer XK series immobilizer bypasses made by express kit should be able to bypass strictly on data and are much easier to use than the 1100F PATS bypass...

ahh yes i did forget about the new bypasses that just came in....but regardless i wouldn't even think of doing one myself and i am even a certified installer thru MECP....

ahh yes i did forget about the new bypasses that just came in....but regardless i wouldn't even think of doing one myself and i am even a certified installer thru MECP....

You should be able to handle remote start installs then....

I think I'll be able to do this in my cougar... I'm willing to give it a shot anyways, I'm not completely retarded. I have the PATS bypass now. Just looking at getting a remote start setup, no alarm. Looking at this one I think:http://www.cartronixplus.com/templa...mpustar 2w900fm-s MT 2 way remote car starter

Or for like $20 more you could get the viper 791XV, 2-way remote, remote start/security w/ shock sensor

http://www.cartronixplus.com/templa...Viper 791XV 2 Way Alarm and Remote start unit

yeah im sure i could but do i really want to??? lol no

Well I guess that's you, I like to do as much as I can myself.... That way it's done the way I want it, and I know how it was done if I need to go back and work on it or fix it if it should have problems..

Or for like $20 more you could get the viper 791XV, 2-way remote, remote start/security w/ shock sensor

http://www.cartronixplus.com/templa...Viper 791XV 2 Way Alarm and Remote start unit

What kinda range does something like that get? AM or FM frequency? The compustar was appealing with the up to 3000' range. My work parking lot is probably that far away from me. It also only appears to have one remote?

I don't really need an alarm. If possible I'd rather just skip it.

Back