• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0L Intake

Depends on the year Taurus. The aluminum 3L intakes from the 99 and earlier fit. Anything later is the black plastic oval port intake.

That 3L doesn't look like it has the cam driven water pump which would cause some issues. You'd need an electric water pump setup.

fordman, you should be able to find a much lower mileage engine for about $300. I got hold of a 2004 motor with 19k miles for that much without even shopping. Find an engine on LKQ, call them up & offer your price for THAT SPECIFIC STOCK NUMBER. If you're also picking up an Escape oil pan and misc things, they'll deal. They will also deal if they have a lot of those engines in the yard - which they usually do.

im not wanting to drop a 3.0L in my mystique, i was just posting that in case some others wanted it.....

so if i got an intake off a pre-99 taurus (aluminum) it'll bolt right on without too much of a problem

I don't know how everyone is finding these ultra low mileage engines for $300 or even $400. Best I could do on an 04 w/ 25k miles was $475 and that was from LKQ just a few weeks ago.

i checked out the local junkyard today and i looked at the 3.0L engine in the taurus and there is no way that a 3.0 intake will fit on my 2.5, on the 3L there is only one row of ports where-as on the 2.5L there are 2 rows of ports....WTF

i checked out the local junkyard today and i looked at the 3.0L engine in the taurus and there is no way that a 3.0 intake will fit on my 2.5, on the 3L there is only one row of ports where-as on the 2.5L there are 2 rows of ports....WTF

uhh, dont know what you are talking about, ive seen 3L aluminum UIMs on 2.5L's all of the time.

Stazi had one on his car before it was a 3L.

is there a benifit to the 3L manifold on a svt engine? the runners apear shorter..so maybe better top end? i'm lost as to why you'd do it. nitrous? less of a chance of pooling:shrug:

since people are doing it, is there some sort of tutorial or how-to on here that shows pictures?

if stazi had it on his i would like to know how it was done because of the runner situation

I don't know how everyone is finding these ultra low mileage engines for $300 or even $400. Best I could do on an 04 w/ 25k miles was $475 and that was from LKQ just a few weeks ago.

ditto i paid a little over 500 for mine froml LKQ and they werent budging on price

You must have looked at the 3L vulcan engine. Only the 3L Duratec engine will work.

ditto i paid a little over 500 for mine froml LKQ and they werent budging on price

LKQ must really vary by location. I got mine from a Wisconsin LKQ and I paid $500 too. The guy made it clear that they have an established system for pricing engines based on milage and condition. Anything under 60K miles he said costs at least $575 assuming it's in good condition.

it is probably by region... and remember where all these low cost engines are coming from... the north east. here in kansas you are lucky to find a 3L let alone a well priced one. trust me i have searched all the yards in KC. one of the guys locally found a 01 escape motor for $800 and jumped on it. i went with a '98 3L and just rebuilt it top to bottom, newer pistons, etc... and it runs fine. i still had to pay $120 for that engine. KC is just expensive when it comes to cars.

You must have looked at the 3L vulcan engine. Only the 3L Duratec engine will work.

probably....i didnt know that there were 2 different types of 3.0L.....thanks for the clarification

if i was to drop a 3L into my car which one would be a better choice...the vulcan or the duratec?

Last edited:
if i was to drop a 3L into my car which one would be a better choice...the vulcan or the duratec?

The Vulcan is a totally different engine family and would be a much much more difficult swap, and would probably make less power than the 2.5L coming out . . . Plus it sounds like rocks in a blender . . .

Don't even look at anything that isn't a Duratec.

The Vulcan is a totally different engine family and would be a much much more difficult swap, and would probably make less power than the 2.5L coming out . . . Plus it sounds like rocks in a blender . . .

Don't even look at anything that isn't a Duratec.

That made me laugh. Thanks.

The Vulcan engine is easily identified since the alternator sits waaay up top where it is easy to get at and safe from water splashing up from the tires.

a Wisconsin LKQ .... The guy made it clear that they have an established system for pricing engines based on milage and condition. Anything under 60K miles he said costs at least $575 assuming it's in good condition.

That LKQ system is for grading parts, not pricing. Under 60K is a grade A engine. If you and your competitor down the street are drowning in 3L engines they're not gonna sit on them and hold out for a good price. They'll sell lower to move inventory and make room for something they can get a better profit on. As long as the cars that run a 3L are plentiful, it pays for them to keep stock and cater to needs of their customer base.

The pricing must vary by region and/or supply I would imagine. There are more Taurii and Sables than you can count down here. The retirees love them almost as much as the Grand Marquis, so there are LOTS of junk yard engines to choose from. Better to move some merchandise than hold prices high and let the other yards undercut you, so shop a little on Car-part.com and get prices from yards 100 miles away if you want, then ask them to match it.

Last edited:

No probably about it, the Vulcan does make less power than the 2.5L Duratec. Though some years made more torque.

Vulcan == 140 hp, 160 lb-ft torque (OR 145 hp, 165 lb-ft torque, OR 140 hp, 180 lb-ft torque, OR 155 hp, 185 ft-lb torque depending on year and data source :) ).

No probably about it, the Vulcan does make less power than the 2.5L Duratec. Though some years made more torque.

Vulcan == 140 hp, 160 lb-ft torque (OR 145 hp, 165 lb-ft torque, OR 140 hp, 180 lb-ft torque, OR 155 hp, 185 ft-lb torque depending on year and data source :) ).
but w/proper headgaskets is a hella strong engine. i have a video on my hd of a 1st gen probe w/the vulcan. stock block w/a turbo setup 350+whp
but yeah...wont work in a cdw27

Sorry to say this, but someone should. This is the Duractec 3L section, not the "any other motor fit section". Just stick with the duratec and save yourself some headaches.

Back