• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Seat Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went and picked up my hog rings and pliers yesterday from Grainger. The pliers are very nice and easy to use. I had to put a cartridge of rings in a test it out :) Works nicely, the spring loading makes one handed operation nice. I bet it'll make holding the material in place and using the pliers much easier.

Anyways, like I said, I had to order in a set of 2,500 rings. If I had to guess there is probably 50 in one cartridge. A lot like a set of staples for a normal stapler. If anyone wants some new rings for there seats, let me know. Even if you don't have these pliers, you can separate the rings and use the individually.

I checked my order status and it says it shipped yesterday. So hopefully I'll have it later this week. It's on my list of things to do but right now the engine takes priority over this. Once I get the engine back together and the brakes redone I will be starting on these, but that could be a while. Unless I find myself waiting for parts or something :laugh:. But if no one gets to it by then though, I will take pictures while I am installing these and post it up for everyone.

Less than a week left on that. Anyone that wants only one seat heater needs to contact me by PM immediately, as I will be placing an order in a couple days.

Placed the order tonight online. :)

Side note, does anyone want to post a "how-to" while installing their new heaters? I plan on taking some pics, but the upholstery thing is new to me.

Anyone??? :help: :D

Thanks,

Chris

Questions

Questions

Questions I have, that Idon't see answered, before I order a pair.

1. Does this work for cloth seats?

2. What are these models?

I'm looking at one for the Contour and another for my Explorer Sport Trac

Last edited:
I believe it was said that cloth seats are glued to the cushion and would require separating them and then re-gluing on reassembly.

I'm not sure what your 2nd question is asking.

I believe it was said that cloth seats are glued to the cushion and would require separating them and then re-gluing on reassembly.

I'm not sure what your 2nd question is asking.

I took apart my cloth seat once and it wasn't glued down, I don't think:shrug:

Got this info from a friend who's a Ford tech. Sorry the pics aren't available, but it's a start. We shouldn't have to remove the whole seat covers, but enough to expose the area where the kit installs.
Doesn't sound that hard. :shrug:

Again I plan to take pics when I do mine, perhaps others can do the same. Tricks, tips, etc...

Chris

Front Seat Backrest

Disassembly
All Vehicles
  1. Remove the front seat. For additional information, refer to Seat - Front in this section.
  1. Remove the front seat backrest. For additional information, refer to Seat - Front Backrest (Electric) in this section.For additional information, refer to Seat - Front Backrest (Manual) in this section.
  1. Remove the head restraint.
    • Depress the clips whilst lifting the head restraint from the seat.
Vehicles with leather seats
  1. Detach the Velcro strip.
All Vehicles
  1. Release the plastic retaining strip.
  1. Remove the lower frame hog rings.
    1. Lift the seat cover to expose the lower seat frame.
    1. Cut the hog rings.
  1. Remove the two hog rings from either side of the seat frame base.
  1. Roll the cover along the backrest to expose the hog rings.
  1. Cut the hog rings on the left and right - hand side as they are exposed on the spring frame assembly.
  1. Remove the three hog rings from the lower edge of the spring frame assembly.
  1. Remove the three hog rings from the upper edge of the seat frame.
  1. Remove the left and right - hand seat backrest tension wires.
    • Detach the rod from the lower edge of the seat frame, withdraw the rod from the seat cover and upper location.
  1. Remove the three hog rings attaching the seat cover to the frame.
  1. Remove the head restraint guide tubes.
    1. Use a screw driver to release the retainer.
    1. Pull the tube from the seat backrest.
  1. Remove the seat cover.
    • Lift the cover and cushion from the seat frame.
Assembly
NOTE: Use hog ring pliers to close the hog rings. Do not use pliers. The hog rings should be closed to overlap 8 mm, to make sure the cover is properly retained and holds its shape.

Front Seat Cushion

Disassembly
  1. Remove the front seat backrest. For additional information, refer to Seat - Front Backrest (Electric) in this section.For additional information, refer to Seat - Front Backrest (Manual) in this section.
  1. NOTE: Retaining nuts use both left and right - hand thread.
    Remove the safety belt buckle.
    • Detach the warning lamp wiring harness (if equipped).
    • Remove the retaining nut.
  1. Remove the two staples.
  1. Detach the cushion and cover.
    • Detach the retaining strip.
  1. Remove the seat cover.
    • Cut the hog rings from the left and right - hand side.
Assembly
  1. To assemble, reverse the disassembly procedure.

I took apart my cloth seat once and it wasn't glued down, I don't think:shrug:

I was just saying that this was mentioned (on page 2)...

From what I've heard, you cannot peel back the cloth without destroying the seat. The cloth is glued to the foam.

as I've said before, I have no personal experience taking seats apart. This will be my first time.

Like I said earlier, I took my cloth pass. seat apart for fun. It's two separate pieces obviously. For the backrest, I think you can just unclip the bottom and slide the heating element in there. For the bottom, you'll have to remove the plastic trim, then pull the cover off. Not too hard.

Although to access each, you may or may not have to completely disassemble the seat/sliding/reclining mechanisms and separate the two pieces (backrest and bottom.)

For SVT seats though, I was feeling around on the bottom and I didn't feel any clips although maybe I didn't try hard enough. I imagine it could be similar.

Sorry my post has so many "might have to" and "maybe's" in it.

I'd like to get one more person for a single seat heater, if possible. I have one person ordering one, and they come in sets.

One thing to add, I called today to check on the status of my online order and learned that it had not been placed. I believe it was because I used their credit card/ebay page and not the paypal link. The email I received from a sales rep told me I could pay either way. When I called, the very nice sales lady told me that I couldn't place the order online because of the discounted price. I had to place the order over the phone with a sales rep. She took care of me with no other problems or setbacks.

Just wanted to mention that in case some of you were planning to order online. :)

Chris

?

?

OK so cloth seats work.

My only question now is what model are we buying?
Someone said the H2 model, but I don't see that model listed on there web site.

Thanks

Hey guys, I confirmed the cloth seats cushion are glued on as someone pointed out earlier. So looks like this is a no go for me.

Hey Chris, how's the SE going?

I'm for seriously on the cloth seat thing...I took the whole thing off and put it back on...it was fine! Base model cloth seats..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back