• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

TRANNY or TUNE?

TRANNY or TUNE?

• Total voters

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
I am about to get $1000 (I know this is not enough for a new BAT Tranny).

Situation is....

I am putting in a 3L dont have a tune for it! I have a stock tranny as well with this installation!

KNOWING the TRANNY will break soon.

Should I get a Tune($500 w/ XCal) for the Engine or save a bit more for a BAT/HMS Upgraded Tranny($1300 then Terry.HMS upgrades)?

What would you do if you were in my position???

I would get the tune to have the piece of mind that nothing will happen to the engine after putting that money into it because the tune isn't right. If your easy on the car the trans should hold up fine until you can afford to upgrade it.

I have been driving my untuned 3L for over a year. School and a blown transmission placed things back - having it baselined and seeing how smooth it actually runs has me waiting until this spring so I can get all of my bolt ons done before the tune.

I'd rather get the tranny done and over with while I had the engine out. Better than buying a whole new transmission if/when your differential blows a hole in it. That's just my opinion though.

Having to pull or drop the motor twice to replace the transmissision is going to cost you a lot more money in the long run if you decide to do it later. Do the trans with the 3.0L.

I totally agree with you guys about doing it while its out know, but if he can't afford it and the tanny doesn't have any issues now, it may last. :shrug:

What has been put in my head was I am going to do the TUNE and then Buy a junkyard tranny and ship that to MR THaines and that will be my game plan as for now!

- amyn

i would rather have the built trans, but would recommend a tune once you get the money.

Back