• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Failed Emmisions Test

Taasman

CEG'er
Here is my overall readings for 95 Mystique 2.5L

Run Test Curb Test
Limit Reading Result Limit Reading Result
HC ppm 60 94 FAIL 200 85 Pass
CO% 0.33 0.10 Pass 1.00 0.00 Pass
NO ppm 450 239 Pass N/A N/A N/A

New plugs, air filter, oil, and oil filter before the test
Drove the car to warm it up, but had to shut it off for about 15-20 prior to the test to give them the keys.

Any Ideas to get a pass???? BTW the pre-cats are gutted, but I replaced the main cat in 2005 with one of those univesal cats, and it passed at that time.

Looking for ideas to get me a pass.....thankyou !

I told you the cats are gutted, however, I have passed E-Test with them gutted before. Just looking as to what I might do to improve things to pass.

Install a new main catalytic convertor (a Ford OEM one, not a high flow aftermarket).

Install a new main catalytic convertor (a Ford OEM one, not a high flow aftermarket).

YEh, I think your right Tony, I installed an aftermarket one last time. Im also going to try replacing the plug wires OEM, as well. I only want to get another 10 years out of it. ITs been a good car to me, and owes me nothing....180,000 km and still runs great. paid $3000 and had it for 5 years!

Even if you have to shut the car off for a few minutes to give them the keys, make sure you warm up the catalytic converter vigorously with some high-rev driving.

the hotter it is the better it will work. Also since your car is possibly running a tad rich (excess hydrocarbons) you can try (at your own risk) inducing a small vacumn leak right before the test so the motor runs a bit lean without throwing a code.

If you replace the cat, and it sounds like you need to, consider an OBD2 cat. They have a lot more of what is needed to make the exhaust clean. They may cost a little more, but it is worth it.

I would hope the testing station fully warmed up the system and made certain it was up to temp before testing. Otherwise, that 15-20 minute shut-off delay could account for your overly rich run test results.

Steve

Absolute snake oil. Don't waste your money.

Somehow I agree with you on that one Jim...what seems to good to be true usually is...

I bought a new OEM cat today, list $407.00 my cost $227.00. Im going to replace the universal one thats on there now, replace my EGR which I already have....but have yet to be able to get it off the tube ( siezed ) and replace the plug wires and PCV valve. Warm it up real good....and go for a retest. That wont be until the New Year....but I will let you know how it goes...thankyou all for your input!

Back