• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to get last rear valve cover bolt?

xtascox

Hard-core CEG'er
Guys, as some of you know I've been trying to fix a no start issue with my mystique. I installed my new starter today and everything feels and sounds much better. I'm still in the process of removing the rear valve cover to replace the leaking gasket and all bolts are undone except for the one near the hook on the back left side. I can barely get a socket on it and when I do, I can't get a ratchet or extension on the socket. There's barely any room there and I was wondering if someone who has done this before can give me a pointer or two.
Thanks!

Try loosening up the one bolt that holds the engine hook in place to give you more room.

Try loosening up the one bolt that holds the engine hook in place to give you more room.

Hmm I didn't even notice there was a bolt holding the hook in place. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can't get it. Thanks for the response.

It is mounted lower into the cylinder head probably the Mega fuse wire trough is blocking the view.

Got it. I couldn't see nor get to the bolt for the hook so I went out and bought a deep 10mm socket and used a short extension. Came right out without moving the lift point.

I just done mine as well....only I just stuck a bar into the hook hole and bent it slightly towards the firewall...bent it back afterwards.

Back