• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake sensors

Heywood

Hard-core CEG'er
Sorry for not searching but I just wanted to post this up real quick while I keep working. I was having a problem with my engine revs going up when Idling. I decided to clean the intake to see if that helps. Well I just pull all the cables and there is a sensor downstream of the maf sensor that was covered in oil. What is this sensor? Is this an indication of anything other than the throttle body not closing properly?
Thanks guys.

Sorry for not searching but I just wanted to post this up real quick while I keep working. I was having a problem with my engine revs going up when Idling. I decided to clean the intake to see if that helps. Well I just pull all the cables and there is a sensor downstream of the maf sensor that was covered in oil. What is this sensor? Is this an indication of anything other than the throttle body not closing properly?
Thanks guys.

Intake Air Temperature sensor. Should not be covered in oil. You may want to check if your PCV valve is working.

Also the idle issue could be the IAC valve. Clean it or get a Ford IAC valve.

Moose issues, faulty IAC, faulty IAT (or a working IAT covered in oil from a faulty PCV valve)

Thanks tony. My PCV valve is currently disconnected and blocked off. I thought that would prevent the oil from being sucked into the intake. Was I wrong? Part of my project today is actually to reconnect the pcv valve so I can get rid of the CEL. I can't get the valve or the tubing off. I'm just uploading a video of that, I'll post it shortly but its like it got really hot at some point and everything is stuck together. Would PB blaster be OK to use in that area?

Thanks Ray,
I have indeed been having moose issues lately, hopefully once I get the PCV reconnected, clean the intake, maf sensor,air filter and throttle body it will take care of itself. I have recently clenaed the IAC, with the oil in the intake should I do this again?

OK, I couldn't get the video to work so here is a static picture. I already broke the top of the PCV valve. The whole thing is stuck fast. I am almost ready to cut the damn thing off. I already bought new vacuum line, I just haven't been able to get a moulded 90 degree bend.
19-01-08_1001.jpg

...Would PB blaster be OK to use in that area?
I would use CRC MAF cleaner or CRC electronic cleaner (that you can pick up from Advance or Autozone.

Do you have a K&N air filter? If you do, maybe you have been putting too much oil on it.

I have a k&n filter but today will be the first time I've oiled it. I just bought the Maintenance kit.
And I have the maf cleaner so I'll use that to try and loosen things up.

OK, just about all done. Just waiting for the air filter to dry out and need to reset to pcm then I'll be done. Thanks for the suggestions gents. This is why I love CEG

Update: Car is running really nicely, but the moosing has gotten all weird. Before I would get it when I let off the gas and it would slowly fade out with a little throttle. Now it starts and stops suddenly when I have my foot on the gas between about 2500 and 4000 rpm (completely random as far as I can tell). It only developed this year so I really would like to find whats causing it rather than apply the fix. Any suggestions appreciated.
Searching now ...

Back