• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car cant idle at all

Force4

New CEG'er
I had an issue a while back where my car would have a very poor idle and now with it being really cold the car cant idle at all. Its a 5-speed 2.5ltr contour. The second I put in the clutch the car stalls out. I have to start it at every light I pull up to and its getting very frusturating :mad: . Any ideas?

check to make sure there are not any vacuum leaks, like at the pvc, this will cause teh car to stall.

also try unplugging the IAC and see if it makes a difference. if doesn't there is a good chance it isn't working correctly. you can either try cleaning it or the best bet is to replace with OEM.

The engine code I got was "Lean running" I believe. I could grab it again for ya though.

I didnt get to check the code but I went ahead and replaced the IAC and sure enough everything works fine now. Thanks for your advice guys! :)

how much was it? mine is a auto 2.5 but I am sure cost not to far off. that may be whats screwed up mine.

Sluggish Runnin 98se

Sluggish Runnin 98se

Whats A Iac I Got A Check Engine Light Code Of P1131 Basically Says My Car Is Runnin To Lean Or At Its Lean Limit It Runs Very Sluggish I Heard It Could One Of The 2 O2 Sensors One On Exhaust Manifold Otehr Just Under It There Is A Surge In Accleration And Sometimes Jerkin Or Shaking.... I Replaced Fuel Pump That Aint It Fuel Injectors? Anyone Know Plz Ineed Help

Whats A Iac I Got A Check Engine Light Code Of P1131 Basically Says My Car Is Runnin To Lean Or At Its Lean Limit It Runs Very Sluggish I Heard It Could One Of The 2 O2 Sensors One On Exhaust Manifold Otehr Just Under It There Is A Surge In Accleration And Sometimes Jerkin Or Shaking.... I Replaced Fuel Pump That Aint It Fuel Injectors? Anyone Know Plz Ineed Help

How old is the Bank 1 (firewall side) Upper O2 sensor? If it is more than 75K miles, then you may want to change it.

From TSB, go through the cheap and easy ones first.

P1131 - Lack of HO2S-11 Switch, Indicates Lean.

When an HO2S sensor indicates lean at the end of a test, the system is trying to correct for an over-lean condition. The code is set when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time.

Electrical

· Short to VPWR or VREF in harness or HO2S
· HO2S circuit shorted to Ground
· Water in harness connector
· Open circuit
· Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
· Damaged HO2S
· Damaged PCM (other DTCs should be present)

Fuel System:
· Excessive fuel pressure (stuck fuel pressure regulator, restricted fuel return lines, etc.)
· Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors or fuel pressure regulator
· Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel (fuel pump concern, fuel supply line restrictions, low fuel level, etc.)
· Vapor recovery system (stuck VMV, etc.)

Induction System:
· MAF contamination
· Air leaks between MAF and throttle plate
· PCV system / Other vacuum leaks
· Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
· Leaking gasket
· Stuck EGR valve / Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
· Oil overfill
· Incorrect cylinder compression
· Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S