• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

heat shield...

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
ok as you all know some heat shields can rattle and make a anoying sound. so today when i was changing my oil i poked around and found that the textered heat shield thats over the cat and stops right before the res is more than likey the one rattling. the heat shield over the res is the smooth one. its fine. can i remove the textered one with out worry of heat damging anything?

If you park on dry grass, you may have to deal with a fire. And sometimes, it might feel very warm in the car. You should just buy the muffler repair kit that Autozone or Advance sells and install it.

Read this.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=1690&highlight=victor

Edit. I think Victor 811 or 802 is just the strap with nuts and bolts. That should also be good enough to use as a strap for the shield.

Last edited:
i dont know how it would cause a prob cause the heat shield im talking about is between the body of the car and the main cat. its not the cats heat shield

i dont know how it would cause a prob cause the heat shield im talking about is between the body of the car and the main cat. its not the cats heat shield
Then the passenger compartment will feel warm. In any case, if the top portion is rusted out, the bottom will soon go. Believe me, the $8 straps are the way to go but it is your car........;)

I got tired of mine falling loose. I would try to fix it. I wanted to run some little screws in it but I knew better so I just got angry and ripped it off this last weekend. My shield was under the driverside rear floor board. I'll check for heat some time.

I got tired of mine falling loose. I... ripped it off this last weekend....
This was what the indy suggested when I voiced my concerns. Apparently, they do it "all" the time.

Back