• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

joining the club.......

It means that the thread has as much consistency and substance as my daughter's baby food when she was 2 months old.

That was his way of saying "There are no pictures.. you don't actually have it installed, and (at this point) its only a statement, so why is it in the FI forum" while being funny.

Well.. I got it!

i was gonna post a picture of the piping and intercooler and BOV and couplers, but that doesnt do me much good when its in my bedroom and the supercharger is getting tweaked. i'm just awaiting delivery now, and i will surely post pics. i am just hyping myself up :)

I know, man! I'm just joshin' with ya! Hyped up is a GOOD THING.

Blackcoog (chris) redid a bigger sized Thomas Knight setup with his own custom pulleys and bracketry. i'm picking that up, and doing my own front mount/bov for my car. right now it boosts about 8psi and i'm going to run it with that until i get the new motor built, and then i'm going for a new custom pulley to run about 16psi, and a 75 shot. chris is selling it to me against his will (haha!) so he can finish his custom setup with the vortech unit and start making kits. i talked him into selling the TK setup because i know it works and its basically a bolt on. fuel tuning is the only thing i have to worry about, and i have all winter. hopefully in the spring i will have the engine done and chris can swap the motor for me with a LSD going in and another new spec stage3 for good measure, and a set of beefy axles. wish me luck!d

Blackcoog (chris) redid a bigger sized Thomas Knight setup with his own custom pulleys and bracketry. i'm picking that up, and doing my own front mount/bov for my car. right now it boosts about 8psi and i'm going to run it with that until i get the new motor built, and then i'm going for a new custom pulley to run about 16psi, and a 75 shot. chris is selling it to me against his will (haha!) so he can finish his custom setup with the vortech unit and start making kits. i talked him into selling the TK setup because i know it works and its basically a bolt on. fuel tuning is the only thing i have to worry about, and i have all winter. hopefully in the spring i will have the engine done and chris can swap the motor for me with a LSD going in and another new spec stage3 for good measure, and a set of beefy axles. wish me luck!d

So Chris sold you the setup he had on his Cougar? You lucky dog.

Now I suppose I'll have to put on a supercharger since I won't have a mock up for the turbo. Ah well more reason for me to put it on my Camaro hehe.

We can build a blower setup pretty easy, looking at the setup, you just need a massive diesel turbo to disassemble. the blower that im getting has a bigger inlet and outlet than the vortech that chris is building on, but it'll probably be more efficient with the gearing system on the vortech. chris did have a big pulley that i need to talk him out of that would put the TK kit above and beyond 15psi for when i get the lower compression build done. i'm getting the kit on thursday mike so if you want to come see it go on next weekend let me know you can look at it all before it goes together, and get a good idea of how it was done. with the people you know, you could make a one off pretty easily. or else we can mock up a turbo with your car and my other engine on the stand.

We can build a blower setup pretty easy, looking at the setup, you just need a massive diesel turbo to disassemble. the blower that im getting has a bigger inlet and outlet than the vortech that chris is building on, but it'll probably be more efficient with the gearing system on the vortech. chris did have a big pulley that i need to talk him out of that would put the TK kit above and beyond 15psi for when i get the lower compression build done. i'm getting the kit on thursday mike so if you want to come see it go on next weekend let me know you can look at it all before it goes together, and get a good idea of how it was done. with the people you know, you could make a one off pretty easily. or else we can mock up a turbo with your car and my other engine on the stand.

First, why not look at the amount of rpm the pulley system you are using can give you? Lets say your max pulley speed from an engine rpm of 7K is 50,000rpm.
Lets also assume that you want to make most of your power between 4000 and 7000 engine rpm, which in this example would be about 28000-50000rpm compressor speed.
Well once you have this rpm range (hypothetical in this case) then you start looking at compressor maps from turbos that are most efficient in this range.
Choose something that produces higher flow at lower rpm than these big turbos you guys are talking about.

What size engine are you gonna run, 3L or 2.5L? I should just try to pick one for you myself but I don't know the rpm range your pulley system can achieve.

Anyway, you would want a turbo that can flow more air at lower compressor rpm and be efficient right in the middle of your engien rpm range. Probably not an easy task but you may get closer if you start thinking this way.
:idea:

Last edited:
Looks like maybe you are right in the big compressor search. None of the smaller turbos can move anything until they are spinning quite fast.

Looks like a t70 compressor can produce 30-55lb/min at 55K rpm depending on what the boost pressure is. The pressure ratio would be determined by the engine and how easily it can flow air. According to the map, if you follow the rpm line you can see that it will flow the most air when the pressure ratio is at its lowest.

T76 also looks good. I guess any of those large ones ought to work.

I also have vortech compressor maps but I guess they are too expensive.

Chris already tried a smaller compressor, it wasnt enough, with the 2.5" piping and intercooler. i havent gotten into looking hard at the sizes really, i guess it'll come as i get the kit on and work toward more power. and i plan on running a 2.5 with 8.5:1 pistons.

tomorrow, thursday, cant wait that long! i still need a smaller coolant reservoir and to move my battery, but i was thinking about trying to run the piping through where the stock snorkel is in the fender for the intake.....and keeping the batt. there. either way its gonna be the same bends, but about a foot more piping.....i'm probably better off relocating the battery.

na, i was hoping to get paid today sometimes i do but i didnt so tomorrow after we get off work. i'll take a pic of all the stuff before it goes on the car. tomorrow i'm just drilling the holes to get the piping for the FMIC in, and friday me and CSVT#49 are gonna do it all up. it should be fun, we will have lots of pics.

i got it today. going from the cougar to the contour, i'm going to have a couple issues. one is the FMIC. it's going to sit a little lower than i wanted it to so part of the bottom is going to be right at the bottom of my bumper, away from airflow. next, i need a smaller belt. it's an inch too long, he had the same setup but its not working out for me. after i figure that out, i'll be set. im wondering if chris gave me a smaller pulley than he had but he said its the same so either way i need a belt. then i'll route the rest of the FMIC, and find some sort of coolant res..... pics tomorrow

well it's all coming together now....ive got the blower on and ran it. it doesnt want to idle very well when it's cold, once it warms up its a bit better, but still jumps around 100rpm either way. i cant shut the hood now because i have the maf damn near butted up to the throttlebody and it hits the hood, so i either need to fix that some way or cut the hood skeleton out where it hits. it's like 1/2" away from closing so i might do that. i was thinking of just moving the maf back to the inlet but i dont know if that will change the voltage of the maf by having longer wires or any stupid crap like that so i thought i'd ask all of you guys first? :)

Back