• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Crap

ExDelayed

CEG'er
Deja Vu, and I am not happy about it.

The SVT has been acting really strangely. Only able to get up to 5 psi on the Vortech, smokes occasionally, and just downright poor drive quality. I was digging around under the hood the other day chasing down a smoke problem (it would fill the cabin and I would leave a pretty nice trail under load) and found that my PCV valve had been blown out. Repaired that, pulled the UIM (which was clean), was less then amused at the amount of oil in the UIM/LIM, went to pull the plugs and found that every spark plug tube was full of oil. Cleaned it out and found Bosch +4s in all the cylinders. Replaced them with a colder copper, degreased the plug wires, threw on some dielectric grease and reassembled.

Car drove great for from N. Ogden down to about 30th st in Ogden, even though its power wasnt quite normal, then its old habits came back. Stalling when decelerating, very slow acceleration (a Zetec/ATX is quicker), erratic powerband, etc. Figured I would take her to work the other day to see what the super duper code reader could tell me, I would be able to find the problem with the realtime mapping of all of the sensors.

Warmed it up since that is when the problems really start to show. After a few .5mi runs up and down the street it was smoking worse then I had ever seen it. Smoke was coming up from under the dash, the slipstream was pure blue, but, hey, it was warmed up, right? Knowing something was very wrong at this point, I made my last .5mi run to get back to the yard quicker then I had any other in case the worst was happening. Get there, when the car stops that awesome blue slipstream engulfs the car, everything smells of burnt oil. Quickly turn it off, pop the hood and before I was even up to the front of the car I had a feeling I knew where the smoke was coming from. Lift the hood enough to pop the release and its like eleventy billion blue/white smoke bombs have been set off under there. The smoke is thick enough I cannot see the fenders and I am standing directly in front of it. Lift the hood to find a cute little fire dancing on my rear exhaust manifold!

Get that put out and after the smoke clears, start looking for the where the oil is coming from. Havent located it completely but all six spark plug tubes are full, again, half of both valve covers are shiny black and the car marks its territory every time it stops.

Im hoping I just have a lot of crap caked onto my rings and the blowby is allowing my boost to get out of a valve cover leak. I cant see three pounds escaping from valve cover leaks though.

Every day I see the chances of me owning a Vortech'd Cougar becoming greater and a SVT being let go for next to nothing. I am just praying that what happened to Daymon isnt happening to me, even though it sounds like it.

Some parts come in tomorrow and I am going to start teardown to find the problem. While I am at it I might just pull the Vortech as well. :)

Coming home from the dyno, I noticed that I was smoking pretty bad (on the freeway). It hadn't done this while I test drove the car around the shop for over an hour before hand.

At the first light after the exit, I was smoking from under the hood pretty badly. Once I got it home, I noticed my PCV valve was disconnected and there was a bit of oil pooled up on the trans ribs.

I cleaned it all up, reconnected the PCV valve with a hose clamp to keep it installed and degreased the engine bay. I let it run for a bit to 'burn' off any water on the header wrap, etc. Once I took off for a test drive, I was belching white smoke out of the exhaust pretty badly

I'm pretty freaked out at this point. I've got the oil draining right now (no coolant in there, that's a plus) and I'm planning on doing a compression test.

Any ideas?

Yikes! Any new news? If you're going to dump off the SVT, I might want it to make a RWD car.

If not, I still have Swazo's 3L shortblock. I really do think it's still good. I'd just give it to you, if you want it.

Last edited:
Yikes! Any new news? If you're going to dump off the SVT, I might want it to make a RWD car.

If not, I still have Swazo's 3L shortblock. I really do think it's still good. I'd just give it to you, if you want it.
I honestly dont know what I am going to do with it right now. I havent really been in the mood to even open the hood to see what is going on since I brought it back home. It is going to leave one way or another, either in pieces, stock or supercharged. I just havent decided which way yet.

I too have been thinking RWD but I am eyeing a black wagon for that project. :ponder:

Do tell! What wagon are you thinking of?

Seriously, I am half assed looking for a Contour or Cougar that's on the ceap for a RWD conversion. I know many have talked of doing it, but I'm stupid enough to do it :D

When you get a chance, can your messure up the rear wheel mounting surface (rotor face, whatever...) to the other side's mounting surface? Even knowing the messurment from the outter edge of the tire to the other side would work for now. I'm going to start looking for an OEM rear-end that could be used as-is width wise.

Last edited:
Do tell! What wagon are you thinking of?

Seriously, I am half assed looking for a Contour or Cougar that's on the ceap for a RWD conversion. I know many have talked of doing it, but I'm stupid enough to do it :D

When you get a chance, can your messure up the rear wheel mounting surface (rotor face, whatever...) to the other side's mounting surface? Even knowing the messurment from the outter edge of the tire to the other side would work for now. I'm going to start looking for an OEM rear-end that could be used as-is width wise.
If I were to do it, I would use my V70R. Already set up for AWD so RWD would be much easier. Id use the same engine and then just figure out how to make it all work with a manual. Since I would be using something with a branded title I wouldnt feel so bad about chopping up a limited run car.

How cheap is cheap?

Ill see if I have one at work tomorrow that is missing its rear tires. I considered using the front spindles and building a rear system to work. Plenty of mounts and the front parts will keep everything how it was. Never looked into it more then just theory though.

I have wondered if it would be possible to use a Mustang chassis and split the cars at the pinch welds and swap. You would gain the strength in the floorpan that the Mustang has as well as less floorpan work to get it to go in.

Cheaper, the better. Less than a grand. I'd use a normal Contour, but I'd want an SVT body kit. I noticed that video you put together for Swazo's smashing (cool vid BTW) and I'm totally kicking myself in the ass now, it would have been perfect for this :blackeye:

If one was able to swap over a Mustang unibody over, even in modified form...... that'd work out nicely. Even if one were to section the uni-body to fit the Contour's needs, that really wouldn't be that much work. Get a rolled/wrecked Mustang and take what you need. I think I'd still want to use a Duratec, but mounted the correct way.

Cheaper, the better. Less than a grand. I'd use a normal Contour, but I'd want an SVT body kit. I noticed that video you put together for Swazo's smashing (cool vid BTW) and I'm totally kicking myself in the ass now, it would have been perfect for this :blackeye:

If one was able to swap over a Mustang unibody over, even in modified form...... that'd work out nicely. Even if one were to section the uni-body to fit the Contour's needs, that really wouldn't be that much work. Get a rolled/wrecked Mustang and take what you need. I think I'd still want to use a Duratec, but mounted the correct way.
Ill keep an eye out for one.

The thought has been in my mind, but I think if I were to do it I would use a Mystique. Make it look stock, all the way down to 15's (gotta leave some room for brakes) and hubcaps. Preferably a neutral color. hehe

You do know its possible to buy just a floorpan, right? It would be some work to split it but it would still be possible.

I still have Swazo's 3L shortblock. I really do think it's still good. I'd just give it to you, if you want it.
You know, I just remembered I have an entire 3L core. If you decide to give this a go, I do have some goodies. This engine is finished, but it would be able to donate a Escape oil pan as well as some buildable heads. :cool:

I let the boss know to be on the lookout for a `98+ Contour with a good body for cheap. He knows what you want to spend. I did tell him that drivetrain condition/configuration didnt matter.

I hate to do it, but I am still just at the drawing board for a RWD Contour. The only thing that's keeping me from doing it is the idea of dumping even a couple of grand into something that would totally be near worthless to most people out there.

I'm staying focused on my Impala until it's done.

The 3L is all yours, just let me know when you want to grab it. It's in a clean, dry spot that's out of the way, so no rush.

I hate to do it, but I am still just at the drawing board for a RWD Contour. The only thing that's keeping me from doing it is the idea of dumping even a couple of grand into something that would totally be near worthless to most people out there.

man if you did that to an svt i'd be all over that ( i miss my svt something fierce). i'd give up my s4 in a heartbeat!
Anything contour related happen out here in utah much? school is just about out and well I've got nothing else to do besides work (all the friends and family are in california).

At one time there was a decent amount of people with Contours around here that would meet up from time to time. Lots of custom stuff! But, People have moved, sold off their babies and we're at the current state of things.

I'm trying to find room in my shop for a Contour w/ working space around it....... and I'd start on making a RWD Contour :cool:

if you do start doing that I'm going to have to come up and introduce myself and start bothering you/checking out the rwd.

Well, finally got around to fixing the oil leak. Six day work weeks of eleven hour days really kill any desire I have to work on cars when I get home.

Anyway, got the valve cover gaskets changed, secured all of the vacuum lines with ties (broke one plastic line) and got it all put back together. When I started it for the first time I knew it would smoke but it smoked a lot more then I thought it would. Drove it and it felt like it was being propelled by a scooter motor instead of a supercharged Duratec. Was pissed, waited a few hours and decided to let it warm up after dark so the neighbors wouldnt call the fire department. Got it warm, drove better, got up to 5 psi but it is still gutless. I know for a fact the Cougar could walk all over it right now, and its N/A!

Check engine light is still on from the misfire that happened when the oil leak(s) caused all six plugs to misfire. Ill turn that off and see how it drives.

It still stalls when I come to a stop, which I cant figure out why. It is very hard to restart but starts easily if its pop-started.

A car that makes me think of pulling my hair out is not a good thing when I have the ability to make the car very flat. :mad:

6 psi but the Cougar is still quicker.

Tomorrow I will check the IAC and clean the MAF and see if those cure its stalling problem. MAF could also explain why I am not getting full boost/power.

Any new news Jon?
Not really. I started it to move it so I could get the Cougar near the garage (mounted its OE hood scoop) and the SVT smoked like mad. I still want to replace its serp. belt and see if perhaps the belt is sliding enough its causing all the pulleys to slow down. Perhaps make an undercharge condition and I know it would be below boost. I am still at a loss as to why the SVT is slower, even at 6 psi then the Cougar n/a.

On a different note, and Daymon will be the only one who knows what I am referring to, a T-5 could be mated to a Duratec with what seems like minimal work. I have also located a complete suspension and brake system off of a `97 BMW 740. 13" rotors all around. :drool: A Corolla rack looks workable but the 740 still has its steering box, or use the rack from a `02 330 along with its spindles. I do like your idea of the Getrag 221, I need to look into it more.

Oh and my nephew *did* scatter the MTX75 in my old car.

Not really. I started it to move it so I could get the Cougar near the garage (mounted its OE hood scoop) and the SVT smoked like mad. I still want to replace its serp. belt and see if perhaps the belt is sliding enough its causing all the pulleys to slow down. Perhaps make an undercharge condition and I know it would be below boost. I am still at a loss as to why the SVT is slower, even at 6 psi then the Cougar n/a.

On a different note, and Daymon will be the only one who knows what I am referring to, a T-5 could be mated to a Duratec with what seems like minimal work. I have also located a complete suspension and brake system off of a `97 BMW 740. 13" rotors all around. :drool: A Corolla rack looks workable but the 740 still has its steering box, or use the rack from a `02 330 along with its spindles. I do like your idea of the Getrag 221, I need to look into it more.

Oh and my nephew *did* scatter the MTX75 in my old car.

iirc a guy on the merkur forums mated a 3L turbo to a T-5 (met him in AL), wonder if merkur stuff might be able to help your project at all?

David Godfrey is his name, and wicked off the wall Ford goodness is his game ;)

Though, Jon, you keep baiting that project...... and I keep finding new ways to talk myself into wanting to do it :ponder:

Back