• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

08 mondeo

I'd much rather have the t5 r motor with the awd as an option in that car though! :drool: Don't like the car that much but I'd love the powertrain.

That'd be great if Volvo had any kind of reputation for performance AWD systems.

l_06d972ed54185e0fcd8c50f6b56b2ddc.jpg

I see the latest and greatest set of wheels to lust after hiding somewhere in there.

~Mike~

yeah it holds...just the haldex has it's own quirks. it's good, it's not great. the angle gear is a major weak point. lots and lots and lots of faulires...on stock and modified vehicles alike. as i've said before, warranty is a must on the R cars. i'm so afraid to tweak the car and void it.

further...the 2.5 5 cylinder is the same motor volvo uses on most of it's cars...from the c30, s40, s60 (and R) etc.

That AWD has been proven to hold well over 300 at the wheels on many R's. That is plenty for a fun street car in my opinion.
I wasn't questioning it's ability to hold power. I'm talking about how it distributes it.

~Mike~

it distributes it just fine. it can and will do a 50/50 split. in areas of absolutely no front traction the system can put 100% torque to the rear wheels for short periods of time.

there's a bunch of people on volvo forums that insist that for normal driving, it's 90% front biased. they are simply retarded. yeah the car does have a FWD bias, but it's not as much as they'll have yo believe.

I don't like the sedan taillights. I was following one today going into work [:p] and it's got a honeycomb pattern for the turn signals/reverse lights.

Almost looks like if they designers wanted to put LEDs in there, but the beancounters were like "uhh, no" and went with normal lights instead.

I first saw them on a Peugeot and I'm definitely not a fan.

I am a fan, however, of the A6 wagon, VW, BMW, M-B tails... they are hot. I'll even say I like the 00'ish Deville tails. Probly the hottest LED use I've seen so far were white LEDs on the front of an Audi S6:
mtm-s6-s8-01.jpg
http://www.babez.de/mtm/s8/mtm-s6-s8-01.jpg
They stand out!

Something I don't like is mixing LEDs and regular bulbs... WTF are they thinking?

Last edited:
I don't know what to think about it. Looks like they stole a lot of audi and volvo cues and stuck it on a fusion. But, I happen to like audi's and volvos.

The Focus RS is such a beautiful car though:rolleyes: .... And now that its 2.5L 5cl turbo engine puts out so much power is really just want to go to england and buy won... then spend the money and ship it over... but why has ford in america just forgot about us and given us the fusion and the 500! they need to start bringing these cars back to the homeland:laugh: :laugh: lol...

P.S. I believe Top Gear did and episode on the RS Focus... And they Loved it:eek: ... The Mondeo ST220 Also they did a test on and it was awarded the 2007 best car of the year award!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRDz4aMK8hA

Its at the end when they anounce it...

it's an S40 with a ford badge on it...i really like the looks of the car though. needs more turbo (doesn't say if it's turbo or not on that site) though.

Its actually based on the brand new S80 platform, I drove one (a 1.8 turbo diesel) just before I left Ireland. This car is STREETS ahead of anything Ford have over here, sorry to say. It has things like hill assist launch control and a huge array of engines. I'd love to drive the 2.5 turbo :) check it out on youtube there are plenty of vids showing the new car.

I drove the focus st with the same 2.5 turbo, and it sounds lovely. Its the same engine thats in the c30 and t5, but its tuned differently in the focus to sound like the audi quattro sports from the mid-late 80's.

If Ford sold it here, I"d have bought it instead of a VW GTI :)

Reminds me a lot of this old story

This also got me to snooping around... hows this for sweet 2009 Focus RS, turbocharged 2.5L 5cyl with 280HP and 295ftlb torque and did I mention it's going to be AWD. It's being dub'd the EVO/STi killer.

with only 280hp and 295tq... its not going to kill any evo or sti... they will need more than just that to beat out those two cars.

with only 280hp and 295tq... its not going to kill any evo or sti... they will need more than just that to beat out those two cars.
For some reason, neither Ford USA or Ford UK shows curb weight for the 2008 Focus. I did find that the 2007 Focus SE weighs 2676. For the RS packages, I'm guessing an addition of about 300+lbs. So...

2009 Focus RS..........: 3000lbs; 280hp; 295tq
2008 Mitsu Evo..........: 3600lbs; 291hp;300tq
2008 Subaru WRX STi: 3395lbs; 305hp; 290tq

So..... do you really think the Evo or STi will be stomping that RS?! It has about the same hp/tq.. but much less weight.

If Ford doesn't sell the RS here, I'm going to find the person who made that decision and hurt them.

edit: I emailed Ford USA general corporate asking (begging) for the 2009 Focus RS. I doubt it'll do any good..... I wonder if one of the online petition sites could be useful.

Last edited:
Back