• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Key wont work...

Blackcoog

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok the oddest thing ever happened this morning. I went out to start the car (2000 Contour SVT with 80k) like normal and the key wouldn't work. I only have one key for this car and I've had it for over a year. I've never had any issues with the key, ignition or locks. Everything has always worked great. The key wouldn't turn in the ignition. I thought I was going nuts and some how mixed up my keys with an old set I forgot to give to someone when I sold a car. I then tried the door lock and the key worked fine. WTF? Why wouldn't a key work in the ignition suddenly with no prior issues? I tried moving the steering wheel back and forth incase it was locked but it seemed fine. Actually now that I think about it I don't think the steering wheel locks on this car for some reason. Is that a clue?

I'm not sure if it is or not, but if its an ATX.. try stepping on the brake while you try to turn it.

I'm not sure if it is or not, but if its an ATX.. try stepping on the brake while you try to turn it.

ray have you not had your morning coffee? he said it was a 2k SVT right in the post ... but its ok I'll forgive ya on this one :laugh: :cool:

but any who, I had an ignition cyclinder fail on my in my 99 on the way home from SZ last year ... on the way the ignition would catch and not turn to the start postion .. finally just bad in my home state it locked up completely ... I could turn it to run but not start ... learned that I could push start these cars that day ... didn't think so because of the clutch switch ... anyway I had to replace it ... but in my case I was lucky and had two keys so I could "program" two more keys myself when I got a used lock set from todras ...

Last edited:
ATX SVT? It could happen :laugh: . Wasn't there a CEGer who switched out his MTX (not SVT) for an ATX or something?

Anyway, as mentioned, the ignition lock cylinder could be failing.

I believe it was Lee that build a highly contented SVT from about three different cars and backed it with an atx I believe

:troutslap: That's what I get for posting when I was STILL UP from the night before. I am up, AGAIN, now with about 3 hours of sleep.

I saw the sig, it said 3.0 Cougar, and I didn't know if it was ATX or MTX... Completely missed the car in the post!

Sorry about that.

Well I went out to try it again and still no luck. I sprayed some lube in there without any change. I did remember that last night I cut some tape on a package with the key but after looking the key over it looks perfect. No nicks or anything in it. I tried all the locks on the car and it works in the two doors but not in the ignition or trunk. Hmmmm....

Wow, that doesn't sound good at all. All I can suggest is try to adjust the depth of the key as you try to turn it. The steering wheels do lock in these cars. I used to rekey locks and a slight pin alignment issue happens. (my housekey doesnt work when fully inserted in lock, pull out 1/16 and presto! it opens) What is even more odd is that it works ok in the doorlocks but not the ignition. Usually a key used in the ignition and rarely in the doors will only work in the ignition. I got my 95 F150 key copied and it doesn't work in the doors, but in the ignition. Try geting the key copied. Have you tried driving it since you sold me my car? Could be a complete fluke that they keys are very very close?

I carry a knife at all times so I dont have to possibly damage BRASS keys. Brass isn't that tough and most keys are covered with silver so they look pretty.

Fun Fact: Most keys are made out of spent rifle/handgun brass. It just happens to be the most readily available brass.

lube it (oil or graphite, take your pick) and with a pair of plyers GENTLY try to force the key to turn. (using them like a wrench gives you more than enough torque to bust the key, but its also more than you can do w/ fingers alone.) I had the same problem about a month ago, all it needed was a little force.

edit: seeing how the key doesn't work in the trunk either, this might not work. My problem was specifically the ignition cylinder locking up.

Last edited:
i guess the contour could be the same way. but on focus, the ignition cylinders are prone to failures. it comes to a point where the key wont turn at all.

one thing to try is tapping the end of the key sharply (dont hit too hard that you break it) but you have to give it some force. you typically cant hit it hard enough by hand, so need a hammer. but thats what i did for my dad on his focus before i replaced it. it was going to be hell to drill it out to take it out since it wouldnt turn, so getting it to turn helped so much.

Don't know if this is still a problem, but on our contour you have to have the steering wheel in just the right position or the key won't turn in the ignition. Usually, it's fine. But if the steering wheel gets jarred before the key is in the ignition then we have to jiggle the steering wheel until the key will turn.

Hope this helps.

The key wouldn't turn in the ignition.
quote]

Back