• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car decided to just not fire.

svtd00d

CEG'er
The other night i turned my car on, drove it around the parking lot then let it sit while i did other things for like a half hour, when i came back to it, it was off. Odd, but when i tried to turn back on, it just cranks nonstop. Is there a fuel fuse that could be associated with this? seems like it's not getting fuel.

yes there is in the engine compartment...if i remmber correcly it's a blue one..i'll look on mine in a min to see. also have you the inertia switch?

i looked...sorry i can't remmember exactly witch it is but i know it is either in the #4-8 or 11-14 sections....pretty sure it's in the 11-14section but check both just to be sure!

well thanks for helpin so quick tredse1, but, yea i checked the small fuses under the hood, the 15-30 ampers, and all were fine. You think it might be any of the fuses near the clutch petal? Cause i had some corrosion problems i fixed not too long ago.

Also, i know one of the large 60 ampers is blown for my vents to turn on. Im pretty sure there is a short somewhere for that cause i keep having to change it, but the car would still turn on. Gosh i hate electric gremlins, you never really know where to look!!

well thanks for helpin so quick tredse1, but, yea i checked the small fuses under the hood, the 15-30 ampers, and all were fine. You think it might be any of the fuses near the clutch petal? Cause i had some corrosion problems i fixed not too long ago.

Also, i know one of the large 60 ampers is blown for my vents to turn on. Im pretty sure there is a short somewhere for that cause i keep having to change it, but the car would still turn on. Gosh i hate electric gremlins, you never really know where to look!!

anytime you have electrical problems and other symtoms show up later it's a good bet to say that they are related..and probably ultimatly the same problem...but it can be a b!tch tracing that crap down!

fuse by clutch...idunno...i just know that there is a fuel pump fuse under the hood...they tell you to pull it to change filter(haynes manual).

fix'n to go home..if i get a chance i will study the schematics for you to see if i can find a potential culprit for both problem..ie short

other than that happy hunt'n!!

Sit in the car first - REAL QUIET.. Turn the ignition on - you should hear the fuel pump "whirrrr" in the back of the car for a few seconds as it primes the system - if you DO hear the whirr - then likely the problem is NOT the fuel pump fuse.

Try that, then get back here ad tell us the result.

Sit in the car first - REAL QUIET.. Turn the ignition on - you should hear the fuel pump "whirrrr" in the back of the car for a few seconds as it primes the system - if you DO hear the whirr - then likely the problem is NOT the fuel pump fuse.

Try that, then get back here ad tell us the result.

That is a very very good point. thank you, i didnt even think of that. *thankyou

edit- car just turned on miraculously. not exactly sure what was the problem.

if you read earlier, the car does turn over, It just wouldn't fire.

:rolleyes:

My car did the SAME exact thing you are saying. Cranked, but just didn't have the power to turn over. It was my battery terminals. The connection was dirty, so it got power, just not enough. Just clean them, it takes literally 1 minute.

im confused though at what you are saying about cleaning the battery terminals. When i turn my car on ACC, all the lights come on as normal, and everything electrical runs mint. I'ts like the car has no gas. thats the best way to explain it.

but like i said, what's wierd is that it just miraculously turned on after just letting it sit overnight. no work done at all. weird eh?

No it just means your terminals seemed to make good contact. Just clean the rings and terminals. Use anything to clean them off :shrug:

if the alternator is moving the engine with the battery, how is the battery connection bad? Isn't it an all or nothing connection?

Omg...the connection from your terminals to the rings could be dirty, meaning that not as much current as necessary is flowing through them. Your starter is connected to the positive battery terminal. If that connection is dirty and isn't generating enough current, then your car won't start :idea:

Last edited:
The battery cables could be loose. I had the exact same problem with my car. I knew pretty much right away the battery cables were loose. Just tighten them if they are and your set to go. But cleaning them does help alot too.

My car did the SAME exact thing you are saying. Cranked, but just didn't have the power to turn over.
What is the difference in the terms cranking and turning over? It means the same thing in most automotive circles. Also, for those that continue to use the phrase 'turning my car on', it's 'starting the engine' for crying out loud. This isn't a Cadillac commercial! :blackeye:
Karl

Back