• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pic request - T-Red painted oval

bullion

CEG'er
I am debating painting the front oval grill on my T-Red CSVT to match the rest of the car. Let's see some pictures....

It would also help if you say what kind of paint you used and what steps you took to get the results you did. Thanks

P1010114RMedium.jpg

P3161056Medium.jpg

P5291268Medium.jpg

I roughed up the chrome with 200 grit sandpaper, then sprayed with Adhesion Promoter, Filler Primer, wetsanded, color coat (light), 6 or so coats of clear, wetsanded and polished. I'll try and find my original post about painting it on the old forum... it has more details.

I'll whore some pics too ;)

I didn't do all of the work that most did. I just put 3-4 coats of brown primer over the chrome. Then I used the duplicolor factory matched paint and put on lik 4 coats of that. After that I sanded it to a 1500 grit. I then sprayed another 2-3 coats of clear coat over that and sanded it to a 2000 grit. Polished it and then wal la.

frontofhouseih6.jpg

angleshotyu9.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't know if you were using a conventional polish like Meguiars, Zaino, etc. that you would use to detial your car or if you were using something else.

I used sandpaper to cut thru as much of the chrome as possible, then I used brake cleaner on a rag to clean the ring. Prime, paint and several layers of clear coat:

Scenic_33.jpg

Scenic_45.jpg

Back