• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Waterpump

RawBurt

Hard-core CEG'er
Car: 1999 CSVT (126k)
Problem: coolant light has been staying on. leaking large puddles of coolant. So I decide to take a look at whats going on and find this.

DCFC0363.jpg

Is this a waterpump failure. I'd just like to make sure before I tear into this project. Also, how hard is this compared to the alternator...

Thanks

Last edited:
That could be a bad gasket, old, acidic coolant causing it to leak, or anything else, but the problem IS related to the waterpump.

If you are wanting to compare the WP to an alternator R&R, then you'll be PLEASANTLY surprised. I could change a waterpump on the side of the road, on a hot engine, with nothing but two different sized sockets and and pair of pliers(for the coolant hose clip), and about 25 minutes.

faster on a cold engine.

LITERALLY, all there is to it:
remove the "Duratec" plastic cover (3 tiny bolts... 7mm? 8mm?)
remove the WP belt by depressing the tensioner BY HAND!! :D :D
remove the 8(?) wp bolts, noting where the longer ones came from and where the shorter ones came from.
remove the main coolant hose that goes in to the driver's side upper corner of the radiator and either tie it back, or lose a lot of coolant.

remove the WP assembly through the hole you made by undoing the coolant hose.
clean mating surface of old gasket, apply new gasket.
reverse to install.

Do a cooling system flush if it hasn't been done recently. I had bad coolant eat up several pumps on me before I flushed the system. It gets acidic and eats up the seals.

Yeah Rob, it is very easy! And defenitly do a coolant flush!!! You might just need to change the gasket, but it can't hurt to put in a metal impelled waterpump while you have it apart. My waterpump went on my SE at 148,000 miles though. If your cars temp is still normal and acts normal, then the coolant must be still circulating. Call me with any questions.

Reebs

Back