• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

spec stage1

with a resurfaced flywheel. is it normal for the clutch to "hop"/vibrate when engaging? it has about 170miles on it now.

I have a spec stage 1 and that could be normal during the break in period (at least 500 miles of good city driving while grandma shifting). I drove it like a grandma until about 1000 miles just to ensure proper break in. Also, it is very normal for a spec clutch to "chatter" and make noise, but mine doesn't hop or vibrate now that it is fully broken in.

Reebs

ohh ok. that's good news then:)) i try to drive it slowly, but sometimes the wild wakes up. i haven't shifted over 4k yet, but that hopping worried me. i will take it easy for another 400miles. hope it goes away.
do you feel any difference in terms of performance from the stock clutch, now that yours is fitted?

To me, the SPEC clutch grabs harder than stock but that's about the only difference I felt. The SPEC flywheel made a big difference in response though.

i have a stage 3, but if you ride it slowly, trying to be really smooth, i can feel a little chatter. if i drump the clutch, i can feel my head moving in a rearward motion, while the rest of my body lunges forward. at this time the axles make a popping sound, and then i smell this really rank smell and the car starts to smoke. is this bad? lol

oh and in neutral with the clutch pedal released i can hear a little bit of a clunkidy clunk once in a while, if i'm standing outside the car. from inside i cant notice it. also in reverse it sometimes makes a little bit of excessive noise which i hear is normal too.

My spec 3 "hops" when under WOT and not engaging the clutch fast enough. I wouldnt think that wouldnt be an issue with a SPEC 1 though.

My SPEC "hopped" alot when it was first installed. Took a little over 500 miles for it to clear up.

I'd say you are just getting normal break in.

ohh ok. that's good news then:)) i try to drive it slowly, but sometimes the wild wakes up. i haven't shifted over 4k yet, but that hopping worried me. i will take it easy for another 400miles. hope it goes away.
do you feel any difference in terms of performance from the stock clutch, now that yours is fitted?

The spec 1 clutch feels similar when engaging under normal driving conditions, but you can defenitly tell that it grabs alot harder when testing it out! :)

Back