• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

what percent tint

ronssvt

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys im trying to figure out what percent tint I wanna go on my svt. I know this has been discussed somewhat already but I wanna get your guys opinion on if 20 percent is too dark for the sides and if you would go limo in the back?

20% is pretty dark. I think 35% all around is perfect.
newpics001-1.jpg

newpics011.jpg

Last edited:
I have 35% all around and I do like it. It is getting hotter down and I think I will be going darker for that reason only.

Whatever % you choose, make sure its the same all around. Having different percents can look tacky.

go 35% on the sides and 20% on the rear window. its not as obvious that the rear window is darker because it isn't right next to the other windows.

also you might want to find out what is leagal in your state.

IMO 20% all around looks really good on every car.

Anything darker than 20% looks tacky unless it's a black car.

I have 20% and with a MNB interior get pulled over all the friggin time at night, and it is harder to see at night in rural areas.

20% is the legal limit in NYS. It got so bad, that I carry the receipt for the tinting work in the glove box....

My vote %35 and doing %65 or higher on the mirror's(for the unadjusted HID's blinding you)

hmm im not to worried about getting in trouble with the police for it, I use to have a camaro with limo tint on the rear windows and never had any problems. I appreciate the advice guys, I guess im just gonna go with 20% all the way around.

you guys can keep posted pics of your tint I would appreciate it very much, I will be posting pics of my tint next friday.

How about the maximum tint allowed by law in New York: 70%. :rolleyes: I ran a tint meter on the stock windows, and they read 89%. The tint you see on the Ford Explorer rear window... that's 70%.

i guess im just the odd man out.

15% side windows and 5% rear window i can see fine out of it but i also have very sensitive eyes. keeps my car nice and cool in the summer and warm in the winter. also the rear window is nice for those arsehole suvs that ride up your arse and shine their damn lights in your car. i just slow down and let them turn on their brights. doesnt phase me a bit.

here it is:
338823_32_full.jpg

and another:
338823_34_full.jpg

there you go :D

that looks nice k kid, I was also thinking the same thing about the a holes and their bright lights, shouldn't be a problem anymore haha!

I think mine read about 25% when I got ticketed for it last. (limit here in MN is 50%). I like the rear window being dark, but the sides are a little darker than they need to be.

In delaware front windows have to allow 75% light or more. It sucks. So I'm stuck with something near 75% or less in the front and w/e i want in the back. I figure it's going to look "tacky" as you say.

yah well in michigan we are not allowed to have any tint in the front, think thats gonna stop me, hell no.

35% is perfect IMO. It's what i had on my SVT and also have on my volvo. If you have the MNB interior it makes it look darker.

i've driven in cars with darker tint...i think that it decreases night time visibility. the people who's cars have it say the same thing. especially the back window. I would not go darker on the back window just for that reason. i mean if you live in the city you can get by...but there were several times i was out in areas like PA and i had to stick my head out the window ace ventura style cause i couldn't see behind me - and that was with the 35%

lol ventura style thats hilarious. yah I remember when I had my camaro with the limo in the back I was going in reverse is a parking lot and hit a telephone pole because I couldn't see crap out the back window.

Back