• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removing Transaxle

coolymcoolster

New CEG'er
In the process of trying to remove the transmission. I have the half shafts out, battery and tray, air intake system all out so far. On alldata I read that the starter needs to be removed. What's the best way to remove the starter? It looks like the intake manifold needs to come out just to get to the bolts.

It's a 98 v6 btw

Last edited:
you either pull the whole engine/trans as a combo or you drop the subframe and pull the trans out the bottom by itself.

I maybe able to do it without removing the starter but I don't recall right now. removing it might make it alittle easier.

There are a couple of bellhousing bolts underneath the starter, so yes - it has to come off. It's a tight fit, but you don't HAVE to remove the manifolds. The starter is only mounted with 2 bolts, plus a few wires/some bracketry.

I have done it both ways I dropped It all as one .... ( motor /Trans combo) and I also pulled the trans with bell housing out of the wheel well Pull the shafts and had to remove the starter let the subframe hang and twist and pull and wah la I think I was easier coming out of the well.

6 days into it now. Subframe is now down for the most part. A few more bolts off the rack and pinion and the subframe can come down (I found that a little easier to do then to disconnect the knuckle with the torx hole) Hopefully will have the trans out thursday. :eek: This was a bit more involved than I expected. All the front end parts are now in the trunk. :crazy:

The subframe doesn't have to come COMPLETELY out. Take out both drivers side subframe bolts, and the front passengers side bolt. Loosen the rear passenger's side bolt and let the subframe sag. Take the steering wheel loose from the rack in the floorboard of the car, and leave it attached to the subframe. WAY easier that way.

The subframe doesn't have to come COMPLETELY out. Take out both drivers side subframe bolts, and the front passengers side bolt. Loosen the rear passenger's side bolt and let the subframe sag. Take the steering wheel loose from the rack in the floorboard of the car, and leave it attached to the subframe. WAY easier that way.

Heh. Well I ended up taking the whole subframe out anyway. Trans is now out :laugh:

Everyone has had a good experience with liberty gears, right? :shrug: I'm thinking that's where I'll take it for the rebuild.

Change of oil transmission

Change of oil transmission

Hello i have a mystique 2000 With a duratec 2.5 motor and automatic transmission. Some body can tell me how i can make a change of oil to the automatic transmission and what kind of oil you suggest to me. My car has 51460 miles helpme please!!!!!!

Well that was probably one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had. The trans is back in now though and the car is driveable. :cool:

Last edited:
Back