• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3l issue , tired and need help

bagged

You'll Never Take Me Alive!!
installed a straight 3l 01 reused svt harness, everything is hooked up all grounds etc. everything has power in the car. turn key on does'nt do dick. turn key off and take it out fuel pump turns on and check engine light comes on and stays on really dim, and pats light stops working:shrug:

Last edited:
Can you crank the engine? Does the starter work?

If yes, do you have a chip or flashed ecu installed?

no crank no start and the pats works when i first hook up the battery but when i turn the key it goes right back to :censored::censored::censored::censored:. ive gone over the grounds all is good . take the key out and dim check engine light stays on. stock pcm tried replacing that .....same issues, replaced the starter still same thing

Last edited:
same problems, any ideas my brain is toast:blackeye:

I called you this morning to see if you want me to swing by and make an apperance. I guess you could use a fresh mind after not getting much sleep if any at all. :)

I called you this morning to see if you want me to swing by and make an apperance. I guess you could use a fresh mind after not getting much sleep if any at all. :)

dude that would be awsome im missing something dumb and i just cant see it. plus i broke my finger and the bone is getting ready to pop through the skin:blackeye:

so you used a SVT harness on a straight 3L? what did you do about the fuel injectors? did you splice connectors? maybe one of the connectoins you had to make to splice injector plugs or to extend wire for the other items is shorting out or isn't good. that would cause a no start.

but i should still get crank right:shrug:

depends. there was a local member here who spliced in a new tps sensor connector. he got a no start conditions because the wires where shorting out. now I don't recall if it wouldn't crank but the ford dealer testing the car said the pcm was bad. When testing if they moved some of the harnesses it would work correctly and they could connect to the pcm.

So I am thinking if you spliced something and for soem reason it shorting out, etc it might cause this issue.

turn key off and take it out fuel pump turns on and check engine light comes on and stays on really dim, and pats light stops working:shrug:
So without a key in the ignition, the fuel pump energizes and the CEL comes on?

A shorted VREF can cause a no crank. Did you rewire anything that had a VREF in it?

What's the condition of the battery?

So without a key in the ignition, the fuel pump energizes and the CEL comes on?

A shorted VREF can cause a no crank. Did you rewire anything that had a VREF in it?

What's the condition of the battery?

yes, no, good

Try this, take off the connector for the engine wiring harness by the brake booster and try to crank the engine see if it will crank

figure it out, the ground to the clutch position sensor was dead:shrug: grounded to a new source and whammo:cool:

thanks burritasvt, joey is the man. stayed on the phone with me the whole time felt like he was sitting here with me! love ya buddy! if i was a female or was into that sort of thing id touch your balls:laugh:

figure it out, the ground to the clutch position sensor was dead:shrug: grounded to a new source and whammo:cool:

thanks burritasvt, joey is the man. stayed on the phone with me the whole time felt like he was sitting here with me! love ya buddy! if i was a female or was into that sort of thing id touch your balls:laugh:

ROFL.

Yep. Eurotour had that issue. We couldn't figure it out. He traded the car to Steeda. LOL! It was his black one. He figured it out in 10 minutes. Doh!

false hope:cry: pats light will flash when reset by removing negative cable but stops when i turn key onand stays off till i reset again, no fuel or spark? anyone:shrug:

sounds like the pats, or PCM is RETAINING power after you turn the ignition on and then off. The pats does a 1 second illumination (prove-out test) when you turn the key to "on" the first time?

afterwards it goes off completely?

Does anything else seem to have ignition power on the car after you turn it off?

Test PCM power wire leading to the PCM or alternatively test the PCM power relay for an output:
after you "reset" the car
after you turn the key "on" the first time.
after you turn the key off, afterwards...

Does power to the PCM go away after you turn it "off"?

funny, same problem was discovered by blustreak (NECO) on his project car. oh wait, i see that was just the first of several hurdles. hmmmmmm.

Last edited:
im gonna check all that today ray, thanks for the input. im losing my damn mind over here ive got way to much time into this and the long nights are really taking a tole on me im super frustrated and i know im overlooking something simple, yesterday things were working properly for a little bit. i even had it fired up for a second and everything went to crap again:shrug: if it were my car i could step back for a while. but its not so im up to my elbows in it

Last edited:
Back