• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clearing codes?

JohnnyBravo

CEG'er
So yesterday the ol' Check Engine light comes on as I'm driving around. I stop by AZ quick to see what code pulls up and it turns out to be P0340 which has to do with the cam sensor/timing. The car runs perfectly fine so I'm thinking it may just be a glitch, but want to clear the code to see if it actually happens again before trying to fix anything. Do I need to use a code reader for this or is there a simple at-home way to do this? Would disconnecting the battery for a little while do the trick? TIA....

For the 2000 model, remove Fuses 6 (??) and 11 in Power Distribution Box next to battery for a minute or so.

Thanks for the tip Tony. Oddly enough the CE light went away before I even got a chance to clear it. Does anybody out there know if they're supposed to just go away by themselves like this?

Intermittent code. Problem cleared itself. Usually due to gas cap not tightened enough.

Yeah, I figured the sensor's connector might just be loose or dirty and may have "fixed" itself in the meantime or that the sensor is ready to go kaput. The CEL has yet to come on again so I'm hoping it was nothing more than a fluke. It's running perfectly fine as usual so who knows.

Back