• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where did I go wrong??

Berkel

Hard-core CEG'er
Finally got around to rattle canning my sideskirt.. get it all done and look at how beautiful it is, then notice my jackpoint covers look so much more vibrant!

skirt1eu9.jpg

skirt2ni2.jpg

I had the jackpoint covers from when I shattered my old sideskirt.. so the covers are the same color as the rest of the car.

It's close but it bugs me. I've had nothing but problems with TRed.. this is the closest I've ever been with rattle can :crazy:

BTW i know i could always paint the covers to match, but it'd still be different than the doors.

Cliffs: will a wax deepen the red at all or do I have to live with the off color?

The only thing I'd rattle can is my Mirko and eyelids and even those are coming off to be done at a body shop. Will never match the quality and color.

The only thing I'd rattle can is my Mirko and eyelids and even those are coming off to be done at a body shop. Will never match the quality and color.
dammit todd youre killin me :laugh:

oh well i'll figure something out.. wedding all day today.. so i'm wet sanding again tomorrow then buffing. it'd gonna look amazing so we'll see

Just rattle can the rest of the car.

Looks good, but i would paint the jack point cover anyways. Im not sure, but it looks like it has some scrapes on the bottom of it, and it will look better if the entire side skirt is the same color. Less noticeable.

The number of coats of paint you use can make some difference too. Fewer coats usually mean a slightly lighter color. Nice job on the skirts though!

just what I was going to say, T-red is metallic, the more coats you add, the more vibrant it gets.

a lot of it is in technique too, rattle can, can look just as good as if a shop paint matches, you do you primer, then 2-3 coats of your base coat, LIGHT wetsanding of the basecoat, then couple of coats of clear; wetsand the clear coat, couple more coats of clear coat, wetsand the clear again... Then buff the clearcoat with a VERY find compound, finnish up with your favorite scratch filler wax.

shoulda had bagged do it. He rattle canned my Reflector

06-21-08_1425.jpg

ford sells rattle cans of t-red? if not i'm not surprised anoter brand doesn't match.

aside from the fact that the paint on your car is 10 years old and is not the same color as the day it was painted due to weather/sun/etc.

that's why body shops usually end up painting an eitire side of the car even for a small accident, cause they have to blend the colors cause they never match.

duplicolor seems to have 2 shades of t-red. one is light and one is dark. i have had the light one before but can no longer find it in stores. i need the light one. i used it for my grille ring and its a perfect match.

A little late for that now. :nonono:
i called him and pmed him like 11ty billion times.. scotts a nice guy but jeez :laugh:

aside from the fact that the paint on your car is 10 years old and is not the same color as the day it was painted due to weather/sun/etc.
my car didn't get a lot of sun time most of it's life.. I knauberized it last year and there was absolutely zero fading issues.

duplicolor seems to have 2 shades of t-red. one is light and one is dark.
i got the color assigned to my car (T294 or something, regular TRED). i remember aliasbutt got the dark one when he painted his reflector and it still wasn't too bad!

I put a lot of coats on.. i'm painting my mirko tomorrow so we'll see how that turns out. I still gotta wet sand the skirt to get rid of the orange peel but I hope everything turns out.

BTW i used a grey primer.. i used dark grey before and it turned out too dark as you said. This just seems dull, so I hope after the clear cures I'll get a better match with some carnauba to really bring the red out.

I guess having a skirt that's barely off is better than not having one at all!!

Thanks guys!

PS: this was my first job that turned out well.. the secret trick, just as everyone says.. i wet sanded between every 2 coats.. it takes a lot of time but definitely worth it.

i called him and pmed him like 11ty billion times.. scotts a nice guy but jeez :laugh:

my car didn't get a lot of sun time most of it's life.. I knauberized it last year and there was absolutely zero fading issues.

i got the color assigned to my car (T294 or something, regular TRED). i remember aliasbutt got the dark one when he painted his reflector and it still wasn't too bad!

I put a lot of coats on.. i'm painting my mirko tomorrow so we'll see how that turns out. I still gotta wet sand the skirt to get rid of the orange peel but I hope everything turns out.

BTW i used a grey primer.. i used dark grey before and it turned out too dark as you said. This just seems dull, so I hope after the clear cures I'll get a better match with some carnauba to really bring the red out.

I guess having a skirt that's barely off is better than not having one at all!!

Thanks guys!

PS: this was my first job that turned out well.. the secret trick, just as everyone says.. i wet sanded between every 2 coats.. it takes a lot of time but definitely worth it.

light grey makes my red to dark and white primmer makes it to light. I'm never going to get my eyelids painted! god, its so annoying. if only i could get that "light" shade i had before. then it would be just perfect. IMO the color I'm getting while painting is not acceptable on my car.

i even got a can from paintscratch.com vin matched and its to dark. the t-red on my car and seems like is on most SVT's is the lighter candy looking one. not the dark Burgundy one.

Another thing that can change the color from panel to panel is the angle of the panel when painted with metallic paints. Example get a can or mix a batch of paint pull off a fender and lay it flat on the ground and paint it then using the same paint spray the door while it is still on the car. let them dry then buff or whatever you want then put the fender back on and it will not match the door. Reason is the way the metallic lays on the panel which will alter the way it reflects light.

well i had a mishap.. 5 minutes before i was about to install it, it fell off a ledge about 5 feet to the ground and scuffed the clear down the whole thing.

sanded it, recleared it.. same process, yet this time I had more patience smoothing and buffing out the clear, I think it made a big difference!

skirtyp0.jpg

0627081529hh8.jpg

you would never think that's spray paint. that jack point was never repainted, that's how close it is :crazy:

Finishing these up tonight after the humidity goes down in my garage.

paint3gv3.jpg

cheers!

Looks like it came out nice. Hopefully it lasts. My spray paint jobs have always chipped and wore away too easily :mad:

P.S.

I <3 American Crew Fiber

Looks like it came out nice. Hopefully it lasts. My spray paint jobs have always chipped and wore away too easily :mad:

P.S.

I <3 American Crew Fiber
I hope so too.. i put TONS if clear on the spot right behind the front wheel.. but i'm sure it'll still chip. Nothing's like factory :)

word fiber is sweet :laugh:

Back