• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I dont even know where to begin.........

jdfet

CEG'er
I dont even know what to look for in the archives! Can someone direct me there if this has been covered.
I was on my way into work this morning when out of the blu my car felt like something in the drive train just quit. I was going about 60 when the engine began to rev and it would not 'go'. I tried to play with the shifter to see if that was the problem but I got nothing. I pulled over and again began to play with the shifter. It did nothing in drive but did go into second and first. I got it back on the road and had to do 35 mph to work. When I pulled onto the street I work on, I put the car in nuetral as I was rolling and the idle took off. I put it back in gear and pulled into the parking lot, just then the car died. I started it again and it started but only reved really high!

What in the world is going on?
1996 contour 4cyl.

Many thanks!
I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum the first time..Sorry!!

But that doesnt explain the high idle, and a check engine light. The tranny fluid is not burnt nor does it even smell burnt.

Yeah, it sounds like I am going to have to. Man I hope its just a sensor or something!

Anything else to check for??

New news

New news

Ok, I went over to Auto Zone..... I think the code was P0420???
Anyway they are saying that its possibly the 'idler valve'??
Heres the deal, it shifts fine. However, It doesnt shift until the rpms are way up and then I have to take my foot off of the accelerator. Otherwise, shifting is good. When I start the car, (I dont have a tach by the way) it revs pretty good. At one point it did eventually come down.
Also, when I step on the accelerator while in idol, the engine starts to stumble at the higher rpms as if it has a rev limiter or something.
Could it be the valve controling the shifting? It does seem logical to me that for the trans to shift properly, there is a certain rpm range that it will shift in.
Thanks

Ok, I went over to Auto Zone..... I think the code was P0420???
Anyway they are saying that its possibly the 'idler valve'??
Heres the deal, it shifts fine. However, It doesnt shift until the rpms are way up and then I have to take my foot off of the accelerator. Otherwise, shifting is good. When I start the car, (I dont have a tach by the way) it revs pretty good. At one point it did eventually come down.
Also, when I step on the accelerator while in idol, the engine starts to stumble at the higher rpms as if it has a rev limiter or something.
Could it be the valve controling the shifting? It does seem logical to me that for the trans to shift properly, there is a certain rpm range that it will shift in.
Thanks

isn't P0420 a universal OBD-II "catalyst below efficiency" code? IE exhaust manifold? Any other codes with it?

Looking at it, it would seem to be the P0402.... I had the '20' backwards, which he was just guessing....Thanks for the list by the way!
So, based on the last code... is this a big deal to change? Do the symptons point that way? It seems logical to me.

Sounds partly like a bad or failing TSS.
...or a bad or failing MLPS (Transmission Range sensor).

Go back to Autozone or Advance auto and get the code(s) read again. Hover over his/her shoulder and make sure you note the code. Then post again here.

The code is P0420. I had it checked again at another AZ. Now I am thinking o2 sensor. Thoughts?

The code is P0420. I had it checked again at another AZ. Now I am thinking o2 sensor. Thoughts?

OK yeah you may have a bad O2 sensor or a bad precat but those do not address your main problem with the transmission. If you can try to get it to a tranny shop for a diagnoses. Doesn't mean you have to let them fix it though.

Now that I am more familiar with the way the car is acting, the trans I believe is fine. The idle is the issue now. It revs high when it starts and climbs pretty high before the trans shifts. It also has a rough idle now. Yes the P0420 is catalyst efficiency- low bank 1. It also says, Probable causes:
1-Catalytic converter defective possibly due to: engine missfire or running condition / Large vacume leak / engine oil leakage into exhaust valve guide seals, piston rings.

Heck, if the cats bad, I'lll just lose it and call it a day!!

Back