• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Direzza DZ101's or General Exclaim UHP's

Direzza DZ101's or General Exclaim UHP's

• Dunlop Direzza DZ101

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • General Exclaim UHP

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Neither - Go with something else (please post what)

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teal4Banger

CEG'er
I'm looking for a good low cost tire for my SVT. The car has Koni sport struts and springs, and will be getting subframe connectors. Currently I only drive it on the weekends and may try to Autocross it sometime. I've looked around TireRack and have it narrowed down to primarily these two tires. Which tire should I get? The Exclaims currently have a $50 rebate so I'm leaning toward them right now.

Links to the tires on TireRack:

Direzza DZ101

General Exclaim UHP

I've had 2 sets of the direzzas and have been very happy with them. At the track they were good too, but in 120 degree heat they got a bit soft toward the end of the session.
Don't know anything about the generals.

I voted neither. For only $6 more per tire, you can get Kumho MX's. For how much you spent on your suspension, it would be a shame to put on a mediocre set of tires. Though... for $16 more per tire, you can get Falken RT-615's. :drool:

Just as a completely unrelated side note... I just wanted to let you know that every time I see your screen name, I misread it as "TeaBagger" :shrug:. I'd think by now that it would stop happening, but it apparently hasn't.

Just as a completely unrelated side note... I just wanted to let you know that every time I see your screen name, I misread it as "TeaBagger" :shrug:. I'd think by now that it would stop happening, but it apparently hasn't.

LOL, ( :eek: ). I inquired about changing my name, but I guess that is against the rules. :shrug:

I have the 101s on my car right now since they came with them and I like them just fine. I wont be putting another set on the car when I get tires though only because I'm partial to Kumho and will probably get the SPT in a 225/50 size.

If you're gonna get a dunlop, get this one.

Direzza Z1 Star Spec
Interesting, I have Dunlop SP8080 stars (OEM SP8000 to BMW specs) and thought that might be the reason, but then I read this:
"Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires confirm their “Star Spec” identity in the form of a 5-pointed star symbol branded adjacent to the Direzza Sport Z1 name on the sidewall. However, this 5-pointed star should not be confused with the same symbol often branded by tire manufacturers on the sidewalls of Original Equipment tires for BMW vehicles."
Just found it interesting.
-J

I bought the UHP's (because my local supplier wouldn't be able to get MX's for another month and a half) and like them, but haven't done much testing as far as traction and what not. I seem to hook up fine. They're pretty quiet on the highway too :cool:

Wish I had experience with the Dunlops to help you out...

I had the General's on the Contour SVT for one week and just hated them...I bought them on the store manager's suggestion.....What a joke....Went with the BF Goodrich G-Force Sports.......The General's just made the SVT wander all over the road and felt like they were over inflated when in fact they weren't......I drive all freeway and although the car does need struts, the alignment seems fine.....I had Kumho All-Seasons tires before and although they lasted a long time, they were just too noisy....Went back to a performance tire this time around.........

Well, I ended up buying the Generals. After reading dozens of reviews, (on tirerack, and here) I decided that they would be the best choice. (Not to mention cheaper). The only downside I could find to them was that they were a bit soft and not very responsive... Oh, and that they suck in snow. I don't plan on driving the svt in the winter so I gambled. They also performed better in tests than the Direzza's (albeit slightly).

After getting the tires installed I was a bit hesitant, they were quite squishy and not very solid when weaving at high speeds. The side wall felt like it was flexing too much. I had read several reviews on tirerack about this and that it is easily corrected by putting more air in the tires (problem was under inflation). I checked and sure enough, the tires were all at 30 psi. I filled them all to 40 (well within range). It was like night and day. Now the tires are stiffer (still not the best though), handle great (haven't been able to make them slip or squeal at all), and are quite and ride nice... I really don't have any complaints (yet). And for about $375 installed, I can't complain.

Good to hear. I'll probably still go with the SPTs when I replace the current Dunlops but if General runs a crazy deal I may give them a try since I usually run around 40psi regardless.

I have the same squishy feeling when weaving on the highway with mine, but I'm sure my poor alignment isn't helping matters. I think mine are around 35psi, maybe I'll bump them up a bit when I go to get it aligned. I still don't have enough miles on them to give them a good review.

I have the same squishy feeling when weaving on the highway with mine, but I'm sure my poor alignment isn't helping matters. I think mine are around 35psi, maybe I'll bump them up a bit when I go to get it aligned. I still don't have enough miles on them to give them a good review.

up to 9 miles on the tires? Maybe 15? :laugh:

Back