• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT bumpers finally on

CRZYDRVR

CEG'er
Just finished mounting 'em. Here is a "before" pic of what I had to start with. The front bumper was destroyed. There were hundreds on deep scratches all over like the car was driven through a barbed wire fence. Cracks everywhere. The rear had a hole in the middle, but no other damage.
100_1536.jpg

100_1534.jpg

And finally painted and installed. For some reason the paint matches perfectly in certain light, and in others its seems way too gold. I dunno.
Contrary to some peoples opinions, I really dont think the SE skirts look that bad with the SVT bumpers. Im fine with the look.

P7200132.jpg

P7200133.jpg

P7200134.jpg

Now for some decent exhaust tips and mesh :cool:

When you painted the bumpers did you have them setting as they would be when on the car or did you have them setting with the front and rear sides facing up?

They were facing up. Its my second attempt at painting BC/CC stuff. Even with multiple coats of clear, to me they are not as shiney as the rest of the car. If you have any ideas let me have em :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

This is weird. You have been in MN this whole time, all the years you have been on the site, all the posts.....and this is the first time I have seen you. :laugh:

When painting metallics you need to have the part being sprayed setting in the same position as it will on the car because the metallic flakes will lay different due to gravity. I have tested this by using one spray gun mix same paint on 2 doors one on the car and one laying flat on the ground and they looked like 2 different shades when both were setting next to each other bolted to the car due to the light reflecting off of the different angles of the flakes. I hope this helps out.

I'm liking it. New color for those SVT parts to be on, havn't seen that yet.

the picture of the driver side you can kind of see the paint difference, it looks great regardless. I only noticed because you said something. You would really have to stare to notice the difference.

Great job on restoring those bumpers. :thumbs up:

Dislikes: The antenna and the fuel door, only because I feel like there's too many shades/textures going on back there--chrome strip, brushed door, gunmetal wheels...but I'm being nitpicky.

Likes: Awesome job on the bumpers, not bad at all with the SE skirts, sweet blacked out B-pillars to complement the tint and nightshades! It's an interesting/unusual look on a gold car (in a good way I think). I see you have a bubbly back window, like mine...I need to get that redone one of these days.

When painting metallics you need to have the part being sprayed setting in the same position as it will on the car because the metallic flakes will lay different due to gravity. I have tested this by using one spray gun mix same paint on 2 doors one on the car and one laying flat on the ground and they looked like 2 different shades when both were setting next to each other bolted to the car due to the light reflecting off of the different angles of the flakes. I hope this helps out.

I didnt know that, thanks for the info. Now I know how to make it all look right when I repaint the whole car.

Did you repair the bumpers yourself?
What was he process you used?

My Dad and I. Clamps, lots of fiberglass and a little Bondo. We reinforced all the cracks and holes from the back. After the fiberglass dried we built it up with more fiberglass on the front and finished it with some Bondo and spot putty. Then enough sanding to make my arm fall off :crazy:

How do you tint your rear reflector and tail lights.

Testors TINT model paint and lots of clear. Cheaper than Nightshades and so far the taillights themselves have been tinted for 3 years with no fading. The reflector used to be painted body color, so it hasnt been on as long. I just kept spraying it on like regular paint until I got the darkness I wanted. Thats 4 coats on my car.

Dislikes: The antenna and the fuel door, only because I feel like there's too many shades/textures going on back there--chrome strip, brushed door, gunmetal wheels...but I'm being nitpicky.

Likes: Awesome job on the bumpers, not bad at all with the SE skirts, sweet blacked out B-pillars to complement the tint and nightshades! It's an interesting/unusual look on a gold car (in a good way I think). I see you have a bubbly back window, like mine...I need to get that redone one of these days.

Yeah, I HATE my back window tint right now. Im just afraid to try pulling the old tint off without messing up the defroster. I have plans for the antenna, but it involves bodywork and paint, so its in the somewhat distant future.

Thanks. Not sure on the mesh area yet. Im thinking about painting it the same color as the wheels. I just dont think black will look right.

Back