• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can you beat this?

hey jeff. At best, this thread has inspired me to drive more light footed. thanx :). am definitely not gonna get 500miles, thats 4 sure. but i might do 400plus. i cant promise tho. if some punk in an SRT messes with me, he/she WILL get burned:laugh:. i filled up my tank on saturday. $4.25/gallon. took $60 to fill 'er up. am at 75 miles and the needle is still past full. not bad for a 3L turbo han?;).

Okay, with my next tank I am going to stay under 2500 RPM... I need the extra 500 because I am in a Zetec :laugh:

ok I'll raise you ... I'm going to stick to 2000 rpm on this tank. however I will be doing 65 on the highway, anything less is just not safe imho ...

Dang Reebs, this thread is depressing to me, as I only get about 320 miles to a tank. Could probably get to 350, but never really pushed iot that far. Of course, this doesn't take into account my current medical conditions. I was born with a heavy right foot. :laugh:

ok I'll raise you ... I'm going to stick to 2000 rpm on this tank. however I will be doing 65 on the highway, anything less is just not safe imho ...

Now does this mean shifting at 2000-2500 or keeping the revs under while cruising? And I know what you mean about highway speeds. I set my cruise at 70 (actually 66 mph) and enjoy the ride.

Well I've challenged one of the guys at work that has been going all nuts about the mileage he gets in his camry. 33.5 he claims is his best so far.
I can sympathise with getsum as I am similarly afflicted. I usually get about 220-250 per tank, but I have been practising with the last of this tank in preparation to blow his 33 mpg out of the water. Just hope my handicap doesn't get in the way.
Maybe I can go in the para-mpg olympics :D.

Now does this mean shifting at 2000-2500 or keeping the revs under while cruising? And I know what you mean about highway speeds. I set my cruise at 70 (actually 66 mph) and enjoy the ride.

meaning I shift at 2k rpm. so far today except for running down the highway the revs stayed at or below 2k rpm as that will get you 40~45 in 5th (btw my speedo reads low) and the normal/highest non highway speed limit in my area is 40/45 mph

If 250 is all you get per tank I'm afraide you're never gonna touch his 33mpg.
My car is in good shape and I drive it pretty hard usually. I think as long as I can restrain myself from putting the pedal to the floor, I should see a big improvement. 350 is the most I've ever gotten on a tank but that was all highway at about 75 mph. I think the cars good for it, its the driver thats hurting my mileage.

ok, been doing this all week so far and have been pretty good to sticking with it. So far I have use about 1/8 of a tank and have 80 miles on it. think the best I have ever previously done was 100 mile on the 1/4 tank.

meaning I shift at 2k rpm. so far today except for running down the highway the revs stayed at or below 2k rpm as that will get you 40~45 in 5th (btw my speedo reads low) and the normal/highest non highway speed limit in my area is 40/45 mph

I could be wrong, so correct me if i am please.

But doesnt tire size/wheel size affect your speedo readings? like, on dad's car he's 4-5mph off cause he put 17s on his car...

But doesnt tire size/wheel size affect your speedo readings? like, on dad's car he's 4-5mph off cause he put 17s on his car...

yes that could happen if you don't keep the stock tire diameter when you swap wheels.

but this car has stock wheels and stock tires (205/60R15). I have checked against GPS and at 70 the speedo reads 3 mpg low. So if I want to go 65 I have to set cruise for~62 on the speedo.

remember this is a 9/94 build car so it has a spedometer cable and its showing its age as the needle will bounce around at low speeds from time to time.

ok, been doing this all week so far and have been pretty good to sticking with it. So far I have use about 1/8 of a tank and have 80 miles on it. think the best I have ever previously done was 100 mile on the 1/4 tank.
hah, i had 150 miles on the first 1/4 tank. shifting at 2K is so slow, grandma in the cougar next to me was accelerating faster than me:crazy:

if you keep the overall tire diameter the same as stock (or as close as possible) it will not affect the speedo any noticable amount.

This just in......

Ford has just announced a recall of all V6 Contours. The recall stems from complaints of motorists noticing a sudden increase of Ford Contours driving well below posted speed limits on Highways. Ford is performing this recall to ensure there is nothing physically wrong with the vehicles preventing them from driving over 55mph.

This reporter took a poll of motorists passing those Contours but I am unable post their comments because their responses were too vulger. I was able to speak with one of the Contour owners and his response as to why he was driving so slow was "Hey, I am averaging 35mpg! Stop your :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:n'"

if you keep the overall tire diameter the same as stock (or as close as possible) it will not affect the speedo any noticable amount.

I will say my tires have a .1" difference from the oem tires (215/50/16) and when the speedo says 70 I'm actually doing 66. It used to bother me more but now I just set the cruise to 70 and forget about it.

I will say my tires have a .1" difference from the oem tires (215/50/16) and when the speedo says 70 I'm actually doing 66. It used to bother me more but now I just set the cruise to 70 and forget about it.
there is something else wrong then because .1 difference should only be about .3MPH at 70 MPH.

Notice thats .1 inch not .1 percent. The numbers I have show the OEM KDWs at 24.3" and my Dunlops at 24.4".

Notice thats .1 inch not .1 percent. The numbers I have show the OEM KDWs at 24.3" and my Dunlops at 24.4".
Lol then something else is wrong. I upgraded from stock steelies to E0's, and while I can't recall both the tire sizes currently, there was almost an inch difference side-by-side. I have a 2mph difference...

Back