• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hmm... what could this pile of parts possibly mean?

How is it coming along guys? Couldn't make it out last night but might be able to this afternoon if you aren't already done :laugh:

They're not done, they have to drop the radiator and stuff. :laugh: ;)

I haven't gotten a call yet either. Kinda sad since I look forward to talking with you guys while the work is going on. :)

Can't wait to hear how you love the sound of your car Ryan.

Hope all is going well.

Thanks for the call. :)

OK, I've hobbled out here three times to see pictures and find out just how cool your car sounds Ryan and.... nothing, no pictures and no updates.
I sure hope it's because you are cruising around enjoying the sound and smell ( ;) ) of your new headers.

Thanks for the call. :)

OK, I've hobbled out here three times to see pictures and find out just how cool your car sounds Ryan and.... nothing, no pictures and no updates.
I sure hope it's because you are cruising around enjoying the sound and smell ( ;) ) of your new headers.

It was the craziest weekend ever. Basically I had to take today off to finish because of 85mph winds last night that did what 85mph winds do best.... blow :censored: over.

The car is kindof stuttering a bit between 2k and 3250 under throttle and the idle hangs at 1750 for a second before returning to 1k.

I have to run somewhere but I'm home now and need a shower. An entire account of this weekend with pictures will come. And there was so much craziness on many accounts that this needs told in pics & vids. so look there tonight for the story,

I feel so bad about this whole weekend it's beyond words. :cry: Ryan, if you can switch the wires back to stock for a bit, that may let us know what's going on. I have a feeling it lies with that one that didn't seem to seat correctly. Sorry again about everything. I'll give you a call tonight.

I feel so bad about this whole weekend it's beyond words. :cry: Ryan, if you can switch the wires back to stock for a bit, that may let us know what's going on. I have a feeling it lies with that one that didn't seem to seat correctly. Sorry again about everything. I'll give you a call tonight.

You definitely don't need to apologize... you spent your whole weekend working on my car so we can call it even :cool:. I will try the wires. Do you know which one wasn't seating well? I will also check for missed sensors...

Will a missfire throw a CEL? because it isn't. I could go rent a scanner but I think I would need the freeze frame data.

Will a missfire throw a CEL? because it isn't. I could go rent a scanner but I think I would need the freeze frame data.

sometimes it doesn't. when mine was misfiring it was under high load and I could hear and feel it cut out, but there was no cel.

also for :censored::censored::censored::censored:s and giggles check the wire order on the coil pack. it will run if its wrong, but not well.

also what plugs did you use? they didn't appear to be the normal autolites that are suggested.

sometimes it doesn't. when mine was misfiring it was under high load and I could hear and feel it cut out, but there was no cel.

also for :censored::censored::censored::censored:s and giggles check the wire order on the coil pack. it will run if its wrong, but not well.

also what plugs did you use? they didn't appear to be the normal autolites that are suggested.

I'll check that. Does anyone have the diagram from the Haynes manual? Scott had one but I don't.

The plugs were NKG Iridium. I was going to go with Iridium plugs either way but the store I went to had NKG rather than Autolite. Shouldn't be a difference, heard they are also good plugs.

I'll check that. Does anyone have the diagram from the Haynes manual? Scott had one but I don't.

The plugs were NKG Iridium. I was going to go with Iridium plugs either way but the store I went to had NKG rather than Autolite. Shouldn't be a difference, heard they are also good plugs.

the plug order is on the coil pack, often 5 and 6 get reversed.

engine

firewall
1 2 3
4 5 6
radiator

coil pack

firewall
4 6 5
3 2 1
radiator

how are the iridiums different then double platnium? more times then not people have troulbe with plugs that are not double platnium.

also did you gap the plugs before you installed them?

how are the iridiums different then double platnium? more times then not people have troulbe with plugs that are not double platnium.

also did you gap the plugs before you installed them?

Thanks

Iridium plugs are supposed to be the top of the line in spark plugs. I looked into it and people on here have used these before and the Autolite Iridium's. I always thought that people went with the Double Plats because they're cheaper than Iridiums.

And yes, we checked the gap on the plugs.

Yes, we triple checked the plug wires/coil pack. The #5 wire was the one that was tough to clip on. Maybe we could try to put back the old plugs/wires on, see if it goes away? :shrug:

Ryan, can you take a pic of the electrical connection to the things on the firewall side of the UIM, like the IAC..etc? Maybe one of those connections got messed up? Gotta hate working by flashlight!!! I'll compare the colors of the wires on the connectors to my car when I get home tonight.

Ryan, can you take a pic of the electrical connection to the things on the firewall side of the UIM, like the IAC..etc? Maybe one of those connections got messed up? Gotta hate working by flashlight!!! I'll compare the colors of the wires on the connectors to my car when I get home tonight.

Will do...

#5 was still hooked up...
I'll try wires first, then plugs. I forget if we needed the flex attachment on the wrench to get those... I don't know if I have one. Let me know if we need one for the rear plugs. If so, I'll have to pick one up.

Do you think its worth it to go buy another set of plugs?

Maybe a new set of autolite DP's would help. Let's double check electrical connections first, then go from there.

Cool, yeah. I'll check plug wire connections, sensors (is there any reference guide to what goes where?), then try the old plug wires, then try the old plugs. Thats my order of troubleshooting.

The car is also making a weird noise under mid rpm throttle (above secondaries) that sounds like rasp but coming from the front end... hope its not a leak. I've been driving enough between the drive home and work today that any leaks should show up as some carbon build up around the leak. Or at least some visible indication.

Check at the header/y-pipe connection for the build up. Headers were torqued pretty good, so it shouldn't be at the head. Should be able to feel an exhaust leak if you run hand around connections. Pretty good order for troubleshooting.

Cool, yeah. I'll check plug wire connections, sensors (is there any reference guide to what goes where?), then try the old plug wires, then try the old plugs. Thats my order of troubleshooting.

The car is also making a weird noise under mid rpm throttle (above secondaries) that sounds like rasp but coming from the front end... hope its not a leak. I've been driving enough between the drive home and work today that any leaks should show up as some carbon build up around the leak. Or at least some visible indication.
Unfortunately that description sounds like an exhaust leak. Hopefully not at the header though. Do you guys retighten the header bolts after the first heat cycle/drive?
Also, if you're throughing codes or want to check, I have an OBDII scanner you can use.
Good luck, at least the hard part is done.
-J

Back