• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New iPod, now HU needed

CSVT1214

Addicted CEG'er
I have a new iPod on the way so now it's time to get a new HU for it. I have a Alpine CDA-9807 right now, which does support the iPod with the KCA-420i. The 420i is expensive and I hear it's not all that great anyways. So then I thought about a CDA-9835/9855 but that also needs the 420i.

The CDA-9857 will however use the much cheaper and faster KCE-422i cable. I almost decided to go with it, but I also want a HU that does Bluetooth for my phone. Alpine has a AiNet Bluetooth add-on but with the 422i cable already plugged in for the iPod, I can never use both together. And all the customer reviews I found on Crutchfield for Alpines Bluetooth say it sucks.

I found the Pioneer DEH-P9800BT so far looks perfect for what I want. Bluetooth built right in, reviews on it's Bluetooth say it works awesome. iPod can be used with the CD-IB100ii interface. AUX input also, which my 9807 does not have and drives me insane!

Anyone have any other recommendations? So far this is the only one that fits my needs.

Like I said, Alpine does not have Bluetooth built in. iPod and Bluetooth would be need add-on cables and with only one port in the back of the HU, that won't work for me.

You have a bluetooth transmitter for your Ipod?

I almost decided to go with it, but I also want a HU that does Bluetooth for my phone. Alpine has a AiNet Bluetooth add-on but with the 422i cable already plugged in for the iPod, I can never use both together. And all the customer reviews I found on Crutchfield for Alpines Bluetooth say it sucks.

10 characters.

I looove my kenwood but i feel it is also time to get an ipod interface Alpine HU..I got too many CDs

I'm an Alpine guy, but in this case I'd say go with the Pioneer. It seems to fit your needs so I would go for it. Pioneer as a brand is just as good as Alpine so stop stalling and go buy it.the functionality you need in this case eliminates Alpine from your list.

+1 for the Pioneer 9800BT. I have the Pioneer Premier 980BT, which I love. Previously I had an Alpine 9813 with the KCA-420i, and the memory limitations were just too intrusive. I have ~50 GB worth of music on my iPod, and I could only browse artists up through "L" before it ran out of memory and bumped me back to "A".

Also, the Alpine interface is an evolution of their CD changer interface. It worked well for the CD changer, and even to a degree for MP3 browsing on CDs, but it's too outdated for iPod use. The Pioneer interface was designed around the iPod itself, and it works far better IMHO.

Now to wire up my XM receiver....

I have a new iPod on the way so now it's time to get a new HU for it. I have a Alpine CDA-9807 right now, which does support the iPod with the KCA-420i. The 420i is expensive and I hear it's not all that great anyways. So then I thought about a CDA-9835/9855 but that also needs the 420i.

The CDA-9857 will however use the much cheaper and faster KCE-422i cable. I almost decided to go with it, but I also want a HU that does Bluetooth for my phone. Alpine has a AiNet Bluetooth add-on but with the 422i cable already plugged in for the iPod, I can never use both together. And all the customer reviews I found on Crutchfield for Alpines Bluetooth say it sucks.

I found the Pioneer DEH-P9800BT so far looks perfect for what I want. Bluetooth built right in, reviews on it's Bluetooth say it works awesome. iPod can be used with the CD-IB100ii interface. AUX input also, which my 9807 does not have and drives me insane!

Anyone have any other recommendations? So far this is the only one that fits my needs.

Okay you need to stop and read closer when looking into items.... The bluetooth uses a changer controller input, not the AI-net controls. See the manual http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/products/documents/OM_KCA-100BT.pdf See page 6.
That in detail shows the bluetooth uses a cd changer control input/output, which the decks you looked at have, which leaves your ai-net free for Ipod connection. The Alpine ipod controls out do all other decks too by the way, all other decks require a box which has a wire that runs from the deck to the box, and the an ipod connection which runs from the box to the ipod. Alpine has this all built into the deck, all you need is the cable, and it functions pretty much exactly like the ipod, using the rotary knob, etc. Find a place to play around with a demo unit, it's pretty kick ass.

Okay you need to stop and read closer when looking into items.... The bluetooth uses a changer controller input, not the AI-net controls. See the manual http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/products/documents/OM_KCA-100BT.pdf See page 6.
That in detail shows the bluetooth uses a cd changer control input/output, which the decks you looked at have, which leaves your ai-net free for Ipod connection. The Alpine ipod controls out do all other decks too by the way, all other decks require a box which has a wire that runs from the deck to the box, and the an ipod connection which runs from the box to the ipod. Alpine has this all built into the deck, all you need is the cable, and it functions pretty much exactly like the ipod, using the rotary knob, etc. Find a place to play around with a demo unit, it's pretty kick ass.

That's alot of external add-ons needed. I'll take the Bluetooth integrated route instead. :cool:

Not really..... the new decks should have a changer output and ai-net output on them. No extra add-on boxes required.

Not really..... the new decks should have a changer output and ai-net output on them. No extra add-on boxes required.

Well the manual you sent me says right in it that Bluetooth is through Ai-Net, and the KCE-422i iPod connector is Ai-Net also. Nether use a seperate interface.

Well the manual you sent me says right in it that Bluetooth is through Ai-Net, and the KCE-422i iPod connector is Ai-Net also. Nether use a seperate interface.

I guess maybe I had my interfaces mixed up. They don't need an extra add-on though, if you look the bluetooth is plugged into the cd changer control (ai-net), which is an output/input on the back of the CD deck, along with the addon female end for the ipod cable. So one interface for bluetooth, and one for ipod. That 1st box in the manual I linked earlier is a time correction manager mostly, for fine tuning sound, 31 eq settings plus time correction, etc, etc. the second one though, is an AI-multi changer, so more than one unit using ai-net, like 2 cd changers for example being added to a system, you'd need that. The situation though with the bluetooth and ipod are separate plugs which I will link images for you so you cann see what I mean...

Okay on the manual I sent to you, you see it uses AI-NET link for bluetooth, alright, Go to http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9857&lang=en&tab=F
(random deck I picked) Open the PDF for the manual http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/products/documents/OM_CDA-9857.pdf
Turn to page 36 and 37 according to adobe, according to the page numbers themselves.. 34 and 35. You'll see a wiring diagram with number for all hookups, plus the following page which explains each numbers use and function. If you will refer to connections 24, 26, and 27. You will note that 24 is the AI-NET connection (bluetooth) 26 is the Ipod direct connector, and 27 is the full speed cable itself(alpine speed cable). SOOOO... Like I said before, you can hook both up to your Alpine deck. If you give me enough time and still don't believe me, I probably could get you a picture of the back of a deck for you so you can see the Ipod and AI-NET connections are separate like I previously stated.

Wow, I got my Pioneer DEH-P980BT and CDIB100II installed over the weekend.......:drool: :drool:

Never thought I would see a tach and battery gauge on a head unit. :crazy:

Back