• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rusted BAT Springs

SVTCANUK

CEG'er
Earlier this year I had a set of BAT springs replaced because the front springs rusted through and snapped and all the coating peeled off the back springs. I have been sitting on the replacements because I was very leery to install them due to the failures of the first set.

I recently picked up a new set of Koni's and decided to have the BAT springs stripped and recoated to avoid the same problems I had with the first set. Keep in mind that these springs have never been installed.

Rusted Spring.jpg

:shocked::shocked::shocked: This is what the springs looked like following the chemical stripping and prior to the blasting. I have been told that this is not flash rust, whatever that is, and the technician was shocked with the amount of rust he found.

Needless to say I'm happy that I had this done but I am very disappointed with the quality of the BAT product. I can understand that not every product can be perfect but this is unacceptable.

Wow. I wonder what kind of steel they're using and why they didnt catch that while making the springs. I have a set of Eibach springs from an old car that sat outside for probably 3 months and didnt have a spot of rust on them.

Looks to me that they don't have a rust inhibitor that they apply before coating and just coat over what looks to be surface rust. They might be cleaning the metal and waiting too long before coating them(1-2 days) and they can start to rust.
Wierd for sure.....

Looks to me that they don't have a rust inhibitor that they apply before coating and just coat over what looks to be surface rust. They might be cleaning the metal and waiting too long before coating them(1-2 days) and they can start to rust.
Wierd for sure.....

This is what my powder coating guy said also. It is also why he thought the first set failed the way they did. This supposition was prior to having the new springs stripped and the evidence being revealed. He may have also said something about cheap springs from China but that comment was unfounded. I have brought this situation to the attention of Chris Wong at CTA Motorsports who I purchased the original springs from and who brokered the deal for the replacements. I would send the pic to BAT directly but they do not have an email address.

If your customer service with BAT is anything like what mine was when I had an issue they'll do nothing. I was pretty fed up with them by the time I got off the phone. Hence why I refuse to do any business with BAT.

This is fairly big news for any CEGer with a BAT kit in that lives in areas with salted roads... ie like 65% of CEG.

This is fairly big news for any CEGer with a BAT kit in that lives in areas with salted roads... ie like 65% of CEG.

I know that others have had problems, Warmonger comes to mind but I can't believe it hasn't been a bigger problem, I can't be the only one getting this shi:censored:. Regardless of where you live, the rust is under the coating from the factory which means the coating doesn't stick properly and leads to failures.

Hope my recently installed BAT springs werent like that.

How much will the powdercoating cost?

Powder coating is usually $25 to $30 per spring, that should include stripping the old coating, a rust inhibitor and the new powder coat.

Back