• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

advice on front suspension damage

kidSVT

CEG'er
Hey, so I've been hearing some odd "poping" sounds coming from the driver's side axle area, and for a while i was convinced it was the axle. so i took it to a shop, and they heard the pop that I was talking about and confirmed it was not the axle. below is what they came up with:

1- the left lower ball joint is loose and has play. they ball joint will need to be replaced
2- the left and right front lower control arm bushings are both pushed out and should be replaced
3- the front stabilizer bar end links and bushings are both worn and loose and should be replaced

I know its hard to imagine this popping sound i'm getting, but could these things contribute to a sound like that? would this be a good time to replace the control arms?

thanks!
~Andrew

If your control arms are that bad, then you'll be going through a set of front tires every couple months.

So yes. do replace those arms ASAP.

ic, ic. Who would you recommend getting control arms from? are there upgraded control arms out there? I just called Tousley, they're $129 for driver's side and $111 for passenger side.
thanks

Sway bar end link will cause a horrible sound when they are shot. If your front tires are not showing excessive wear or a strange wear pattern then I would start with the end links, they are the cheapest part and easy to do yourself. Have a look at the control arms yourself, check for play and wear, don't just take the word of the mechanic as gospel.

These arms are known to go bad so just bite the bullet and get replacements with new bushings and new balljoints. While you're at it head to autozone and get their beefy replacement links. Mine were $11.49 a piece when I got them a few weeks back.

Back