• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

siezed svt 2.5L

I put that back, seemed a little silly to leave it out considering how short the bolt from it to the alternator is.
being how difficult it takes to pull an alternator out in these cars, and taking a rubber mallet to get the thing out (with the motor out and no screws lefts to hold it in) I thought I would leave it out for the next time I have to pull the ALT. out. which has come in handly cause I've already yanked it out 3 times trying to find out whats wrong with my car. Unless that bracket is some sort of ground for the regulator. just wondering cause I still have my BAT. light on and I was hoping it wasn't a ground for the regulator.

ok did the alternator wiring fix and car is good now. thanks to everyone on this form that has looked at my post and replied. I can finally enjoy my 3L........well after I get it smogged.

glad you got it in there and all fixed up. and btw I left that bracket off of all the ones i have done lol

glad you got it in there and all fixed up. and btw I left that bracket off of all the ones i have done lol

thanks! can't wait to drive it. yea I found that bracket useless. I'm pretty sure my alternator isn't gonna fall off without it. and I'm glad I left it out. its already tough enough with the other two bolts.

Another 3L on the road! just took it on is maiden voyage today and wow it feels good! power comes on quick and smooth. still needs smog though. thanks guys!

Sweet man. Congrats. My 3l is down right now with an electrical short but we should go for a cruise some time.

Sweet man. Congrats. My 3l is down right now with an electrical short but we should go for a cruise some time.

Oh dude that sux, what do you think it is? I've had serious electrical issues, with mine. I had to replace the wiring harness on the engine. I was lucky to locate one here. the other wiring harness (the one on the back of the engine) was shot around the Grey plug on front of the engine. I had alot of bare wires touching and tripping codes. I fixed it with alot of electrical tape and right now it looks janky but it holds. so right now its a temp/permanent fix. ultimately I'm gonna have to locate a used one in good condition or just take this one out and rebuild it. yea I'd be down for a cruise or somthing. I went to the fabulous fords forever car show last april. I go almost every year. mark your calendar!

Well I started it up today and it seems to be running a little better, I'm thinking it may be a voltage regulator or something. When I the revs get over 3k rpm I start to get issues and there's a high pitched electrical whine. I hope its not the alternator.

Well I started it up today and it seems to be running a little better, I'm thinking it may be a voltage regulator or something. When I the revs get over 3k rpm I start to get issues and there's a high pitched electrical whine. I hope its not the alternator.

yea the alternator would suck, how old is yours? and those things aren't cheap either.

issues like misfire? or just tripping codes?

might check the signal to the coil and the three cylindrical connections on that bracket on the pass side of the back valve cover.

Its less than 10k old. Its not the alternator per say, but definitely charging system.
If I drive without the air on the battery light comes on around 1500 rpm, if I turn on the air, it comes on around 2500 or so. Also battery was super hot after a 15 min drive, I could hear it hissing in the trunk.
Gonna go put a voltmeter across the terminals and see what is going on when I rev it up.

Its less than 10k old. Its not the alternator per say, but definitely charging system.
If I drive without the air on the battery light comes on around 1500 rpm, if I turn on the air, it comes on around 2500 or so. Also battery was super hot after a 15 min drive, I could hear it hissing in the trunk.
Gonna go put a voltmeter across the terminals and see what is going on when I rev it up.

dude thats scary, I wonder if its that volt sensing wire. I wasn't getting any charge on my alt. I just did the alternator wiring fix just as a last resort and viola it fixed my problem. it may be worth a shot. maybe that wire is telling your alt to put in some overtime.

dude thats scary, I wonder if its that volt sensing wire. I wasn't getting any charge on my alt. I just did the alternator wiring fix just as a last resort and viola it fixed my problem. it may be worth a shot. maybe that wire is telling your alt to put in some overtime.
Seems pretty certain its the voltage regulator which is part of the alt. Volts increase with rpms. Apparently theres a fuse to check first but unless that work out it seems like I have to pull the alternator to change it. fug.

Make sure the wire from the alt to the starter is not melted through and grounding out on anything like the EGR tube..... that could cause some wierd voltages I am sure.

this is what the oil pan looked like after hitting the concrete median.

Attachments

• 2009_0317detour0004.JPG
    2009_0317detour0004.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
sweet jesus!

may I ask why we were driving on the median?

hahaha, well it goes like this, I had a company christmas party. i was too drunk to drive had my designated driver pilot the contour. the glass was slightly fogged over so visibility was so-so. When making the right hand turn, she took it alittle too wide to avoid parked cars on the street. but there was also a concrete median/island dividing the 2 way street. I saw it but it was too late......up and over. we did the ol' star trek collision scene (hands in the air and chest hitting the dash) like when they get hit by klingon rockets. For the record i'm not a trekkie.
I got sober real quick after that, I did a quick inspection and noticed a small oil leak. thinking i can limp it home (2 miles) little did I know that small leak was from what was left in the pan.
if any good came out of it. I didn't hurt anyone else or others property. I had 154,000 miles and going. I already had a small oil leak. So now this car is nearly brand new, new alt, clutch,new/used engine and steering rack.

yea it as a bad mix, great night that ended horribly wrong. I went back to the crash site 2 months later and grabbed the rest of my oil pan bits. I think i'm gonna drill holes in them and make a key chain outta them, and hang it on the wall as a reminder of what not to do. that was all on the 2.5. I still have the 2.5 motor. I'm in the process of taking the cams off and try and try to sell them. I have an oil cooler that needs to come off as well.

2009_0614sunset0003.jpg

Back