• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gauge Cluster Bulbs and help!

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
I purchased some bulbs from autolumination and superbright leds. I have currently invested about 54 bucks into just LEDS. I currently have some LEDs in my gauge cluster than are powering on ONE by ONE. Meaning Only 1 or 2 of them will turn on when the lights are on. When I remove the LED Wedge Holder Base. Another one will turn on. Meaning all the Bulbs are working. Please help me to get this working!

***************PICS TO EXPLAIN*****************
12-14-08InstallOne002.jpg

12-14-08InstallOne003.jpg

- amyn

First off... that cluster looks super sweet.

Second... LEDs are polarity sensitive, did you try turning the holder 180 degrees and putting them in again?

Third... What LEDs are they? If they are not wide enough to fill the entire base, maybe the contacts are touching? That would cause a short, and IIRC, there is a couple different circuits for the cluster lights.

Try that stuff and let us know...

I bought some new LEDS from superbrightleds.com

WLED-x-x LED bulb
12VDC 1-LED Wedge Base Bulb (194/168 type) with 90 or 120 degree Wide Viewing Angle LED
Select LED Color and Viewing Angle
$ 0.79

Those are the most recent ones that I purchased and am hoping that they are going to work. I understand your advice and will try that once the new ones come in as well. I purcahsed a couple from EBAY and that may have been the stupid mistake. But as you can see as the pictures posted. If they came out right then everything would look INSANELY sweet!

- amyn

The 194 is too big for the base unless you trim it...

The 194 has a square bottom base, and you'll have to make that a bit narrower to fit in the socket.

Might also have to use some glue to hold it in...

I thought the 194 ones were the ones that are comparable to the 161 that is in our cluster???

Do you know which one I should get. Cause I would also like to start off with the correct LEDS!

- amyn

you need #24 bulbs from autolumination.com. the only thing you have to do is take the tails and make sure there is only one per side. i have posted some pictures before that are floating around here somewhere. if you cant find them, let me know and ill post them again.

you need #24 bulbs from autolumination.com. the only thing you have to do is take the tails and make sure there is only one per side. i have posted some pictures before that are floating around here somewhere. if you cant find them, let me know and ill post them again.

I have the Picture. Can you please post a couple links from autolumination!

I did purchase those #24 bulbs:
Outfitted with the latest Super High-Flux low profile Leds
Designed especially for gauges, and applications requiring a large uniform field of bright light
#74 too small?.....#194 too big?.....This is your bulb:
#24 Only(T6-1/2, T2-1/4) bulbs are 3/4" (17mm) x 5/16 (6.5mm)" diameter

Those are the ones within the picture and I did fix the ends so they dont short or cause issues. But they will not light up all together. I am thinking that these may be drawing extra power that is causing this??? Should I get regular Wide angle ones, I chose these cause as you can see they are bright and offer a sweet output of white!

I have the picture saved from when you posted it as I wanted to get it done in the future.

I threw them out tho.. I will purchase them again after your confirmation!

- amyn

these are the ones i used. double check the polarity of each one as some of them are backwards from what you would think.
24_ss_w_wm.jpg

my pic below.
8-31-2007012.jpg

these are the ones i used. double check the polarity of each one as some of them are backwards from what you would think.
24_ss_w_wm.jpg

my pic below.
8-31-2007012.jpg

This is the same pic saved in my pics folder. Thank You Once again. I have those LEDS Just not all of them now cause I broke some of the contacts.

Now Im focused on polarity. When you mean I may have the polarity opposite. Does that just mean that I must take out the base from the gauge cluster and then flip it 180 degrees and insert it.

Which Im thinking would put the + and - in the right place if i inserted them wrong in the first place?

- amyn

yup, pretty simple. rotate the bases of the ones that arent lighting 180 degrees and see what happens

yup, pretty simple. rotate the bases of the ones that arent lighting 180 degrees and see what happens

TY for taking your time bro. Ive been stressing over this CRAP!!!! Im waiting for my gauge bezel to dry so I can put some 2 1/16 gauges into it. Pudmunkie wannabe bezel...

- amyn

IT WORKS!!!! I am missing one bulb that doesnt want to work after twisting it a couple times. So I have an extra LED and I am going to try to put that one in and see if that does the trick!!

- amyn

Back