• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Two front motor mount questions

Dyoel182

Addicted CEG'er
I'm looking at doing my lower mounts to help with some wheel hop and lugging that I cant stand but am getting confused. Every time I look for a replacement front mount all I find is the insert which people never talk about so I assumed it was a non-insert mount.

Also I read through the poly filling thread and liked what I saw BUT I dont have a spare mount to fill or the time to have the car down for more than a day while it cures. So does anyone have any experience with the energy suspension mount insert? I've heard good things about them from friends over the years but never used one myself. At $15ish it seems like a quick and easy way to at least get the front mount into shape.

I have them in both of my cars. not sure how much it does but something is better then nothing.

I haven't try launching my SVT hard so I don't know if it will wheel hop.

on my SE it would always wheel hop. but I think it was in part to the tires. I didn't get much this summer with the turbo but I wasn't launching it hard either.

Well I think its worth a try then. Whats with all the things showing mount inserts though?

not sure what you mean by thee things showing mount inserts? actually the only thing I can think of is recently you can get the rubber insert for the mount, ie instead of replacing the whole mount, the metal frame and rubber instert you can just change the insert.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. When I go to rockauto and look for a replacement mount it shows it as insert-only. I'm asking is that really the case or are they expecting you to burn the rubber out and press this one in? Nothing came up on a search for the motor mount being an insert replacement.

EM-2888.jpg

The "mount insert" in question.

that is not the energy suspension motor mount insert. that is the actual center part of the front roll restrictor.

that is not the energy suspension motor mount insert. that is the actual center part of the front roll restrictor.

Exactly. That is what they're calling the motor mount but as you see its an insert piece. I realize that the energy suspension piece will be red and go between those gaps but I wanna know if that rubber piece will slide into the existing mount and why this hasnt come up before.

Exactly. That is what they're calling the motor mount but as you see its an insert piece. I realize that the energy suspension piece will be red and go between those gaps but I wanna know if that rubber piece will slide into the existing mount and why this hasnt come up before.

the energy suspension insert is black ...

like I said before it was only recently that one could buy just the insert. normally one would buy the whole roll restrictor .... it will fit fine ....

the energy suspension insert is black ...

like I said before it was only recently that one could buy just the insert. normally one would buy the whole roll restrictor .... it will fit fine ....

The insert is whatever color you order it in. R on the end for red (which people have in stock) or G for black (which is a special order item and can cost more).

So you're saying the insert should fit just fine but is that after you burn out the old rubber or what exactly? Its very annoying that no one lists the actual mount unless you do a backdoor cross reference for cars that use the insert and the Contour pops up.

I have an ES insert in the front mount on my 3L car. I don't really notice a difference over my stock one. I'm planning on getting a 60A polyfilled mount for the back soon.

Your mount may have been in decent shape then. Mine is trashed and I'm thinking I might as well swap in fresh rubber when I slap the insert in there, provided the insert fits and they didnt redesign the mount or insert.

nope that is the atx trans mount.

the insert just has tabs that you fold back and it will slide out. slide new one in and bend tabs over.

Thats what I thought from looking at the insert as compared to the whole mount. I'm not sure anyone sells an entire mount anymore unless its new old stock.

Bringing this thread back to life, it sounds like this is the same problem I am having. So what was the solution?

If your problem is rocking back and forth, you can get new mounts, a new insert, or fill your old ones with polyfill material.

Bringing this thread back to life, it sounds like this is the same problem I am having. So what was the solution?

As mentioned the solution is to pull the mount and bracket to see what shape the mount insert is in. If you have a stab o shock you'll also see it under there. My insert was just fine so I slapped the energy suspension insert in it to take up all the slack rather than mess with filling it like I'm gonna have to do with the rear roll resistor.

The rear roll restrictor is where my problem lies. I went ahead and ordered the energy suspension kit. So does that kit come with a new rear roll restrictor insert?

Back