• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tubular Rear Arm Control Sheared

I love you!

I...love....you....to man.....

LOL

I would like to see the end of the arm with a poly bushing, not reusing the rubber one. But it looks like a definite improvement.

I didn't go with poly cuz they tend to deflect. Even more so as time goes on and they break in. On factory struts or coilovers poly would probably work fine, but my car is on air and so it sees a larger range of motion on a day to day basis. Don't get me wrong, poly is a good product and we use it on a daily basis on the other vehicles we build at the shop. That factory bushing is one stout little beast. I felt that poly was a slight down grade on this application. I could have ran another heim and really made it stiff, but a little cushion is a good thing....especially when you're on 19's :laugh:

crazytalk likes me.... who knows why. maybe because i parked my haggard 3L tour next to him at carcraft summer nat's and made him look good :shrug:

I'm pumped up that you guys are excited about the bars! :cool:

While some of you were away at SZ, I was with my business partner in front of a computer screen. We have some serious stuff up our sleeves and I hope within a weeks time I will have something of a "prototype" to do a write up on in the suspension forum as well as a picture or two.

I'll be sure to post it up as soon as I can.

Now, ive read most of the posts in this thread, and I believe a few are right on the money. The reason the main posters link failed is because of what someone had stated, the joint seized and saw bending stress build up beyond the limit of what the material could handle. Thats why it snapped right at the nut like it did. (stress concentration point, add a bending moment, and snap) I believe the joint is to help orientate the bar so it sees only tension or compression, something its designed to handle. When the joint seized, the bar was pretty much bending to cope with the stresses, and when the stress got to high, the bar bent to much, and snapped at its weakest point. If you want, I can dig out the school books and do some math to help you figure out how strong that link/ joint needs to be for your tour.

Jason

Last edited:
Back