• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cold Air Intake Pic Request.

Definetly the cold air intake is not a bad setup by anymeans. I have wanted that kit forever until I learned about what "could" happen. If you want a cold air intake, that is what you should get.

I'd love to hear the full "true" story on how this intake caused the engine failure. Its hard to imagine unless you really get into some deep water.
-J

Its hard to imagine unless you really get into some deep water.

And why is that hard to imagine. The first day I had my SVT I drove through some waters that probably would have reached the CAI filter. Of course I really wanted to get out of that town and avoid the hail that they said was still coming.

And why is that hard to imagine. The first day I had my SVT I drove through some waters that probably would have reached the CAI filter. Of course I really wanted to get out of that town and avoid the hail that they said was still coming.
OK, now if you had said CAI would you have still gone through the water?
:shrug:
hmmm, hail damage vs. potentially blown motor...tough call.
I don't think I've driven in water high enough to cause a problem like that in a few years. And you better believe I'd stop if I had this CAI.
Anyway, I have the NPG kit and I have no worries installing it.
Accidents can always happen, and hopefully I don't have to eat my words, but like I said I'd like to hear the true story on these failures.
-J

I'd love to hear the full "true" story on how this intake caused the engine failure. Its hard to imagine unless you really get into some deep water.
-J

What is there to prove??? :confused:....... It is "true" that there are more than a few contour owners that have hydrolocked their motor because water was sucked into the cold air intake tube and made it all the way into the block...... what are you asking for, there is no other version to the story.

What is there to prove??? :confused:....... It is "true" that there are more than a few contour owners that have hydrolocked their motor because water was sucked into the cold air intake tube and made it all the way into the block...... what are you asking for, there is no other version to the "story".

I only know of one person ..... tricker .... who are the others as I don't recall who they are.

i think he is asking if the person went through water that they shouldn't have, or was it during normal driving in the rain. did they have the lower air dam/splash shield installed. was a bypass being used, etc

i've got and had for a while, cold air feeds in my front fender. I've been out in some heavy rain....it doesn't make it up to the filter. To hydrolock your engine, you must submerge the intake pipe/filter. If you need submerge the front of your car in water that deep...BUY A BOAT !!!.The best setup i've seen is an SVT Lightning airbox with the filter and the maf inside. It also had cold air feeds from outside the engine bay.This setup had a cone filter.. G.

What is there to prove??? :confused:....... It is "true" that there are more than a few contour owners that have hydrolocked their motor because water was sucked into the cold air intake tube and made it all the way into the block...... what are you asking for, there is no other version to the "story".
Read the two replies above to get your answer.
I don't see this happening in any way during normal driving and even moderate puddles. :shrug:
Like I said, what is the true story on how it happened?
And I like to see the "more than a few".
-J

the one i made was pretty low to the ground .it sat between the trans and the subframe filter was about 2 inches from the ground. never had a problem
except at SZ 07 my filter came off on the freeway and i ran it over as it shot out from under the car LOL. i think i got a pic of it on my cardomain on page 2 i'll look

A friend of mine hydrolocked his Cougar with one, but he did not have his radiator splash shield installed. End of story.

Keep those splash guards where they belong, and you won't have any problems.

my radiator splash shield was not installed. i had a 1/2" opening at the top of the intake that had a breather filter on it. i tested it with a vaccum and it wouldnt suck water up with the filter on there. but i had an idle issue and ran my valve cover breathers to that opening about a month later. i was leaving a Team four door meet (local club i'm in) and it started pouring. i left the drive in where we were (porky's) and the water was about 1.5 feet deep. just enough to sink my front bumper up over the fog lights, and it took about a block to start running weird, by then i saw oil trailing behind me. it ran on 5 cylinders for two more blocks (i knew it was ruined already) and i got it pulled off to the side of the road, and AAA came out and picked her up. that was my fave 3L too :( it was quick.

if i had the splash sheild it would have possibly lived a little bit longer, possibly keeping water out of the bumper enough for me to get through the puddle fast enough before it could engulf the whole filter. i did run this cold air intake setup on my car again with the second 3L, but never ran with it in the rain and from now on my K&N stays in the trunk so i can swap it out in about 2 mins if it rains hard enough to worry about. i really should get another splash shield, my dad threw mine away not knowing it was for my SVT when i did my first 3L.

oh and the damage to the engine from the water was a spun rod bearing, which snapped the rod in half and one time going around i assume the rod got wedged just right to put a hole in the block. when i disassembled the engine, all 6 cylinders were free of rust, and all 6 pistons were in good condition.

I would honestly stay with a Pud heat shield and SRI. I had a CAI for years, and remaining unbiased regardless of my experiences, the gains of the CAI over the SRI are just not worth drilling through your fender.

That, or reality is in bed with laziness these days. :laugh:

Just install an SRI in 15 minutes and be done imo. Take it from a guy that knows. :shrug: You want real power? CAI won't deliver like a 3L will.

what about when you have a 3L and everything on the exit side is done, and the intake side is done, and you need more cold air? CAI!!! i noticed big gains with the CAI and 65MM TB over a stock TB and a K&N

what about when you have a 3L and everything on the exit side is done, and the intake side is done, and you need more cold air? CAI!!! i noticed big gains with the CAI and 65MM TB over a stock TB and a K&N

Probably due more to the TB...

Last edited:
pm Tricker or skywalker, ask them
See what my point was? With the splash sheild installed this should not be a problem. I wasn't trying to be a d!ck then or now but after having a CAI lower than any on here with a motor that would suck quite a bit harder (JLT CAI '04 Cobra) and driving it daily I didn't see the hydrolock happening unless you drive w/o the sheild and like puddles (sorry to hear too TRicker).
-J

pm Tricker or skywalker, ask them

well something good came out of the whole deal.

Bodyshop took off my splash shield when they installed the bumper, When I put the stocker back on I didn't have one. I hit bad weather, flash flood type rain dropped a bunch of rain very quick. Very bad engineered intersection caused all the water to fill it up, it was dark and raining so I had no way to see it.

The good came out also, I most likely would have traded the car if this didn't happen, i now have no car payment and shortly will have a blown cougar nearing 300hp to the wheels, with tons of nicely powdercoated parts from Joe, Its gonna look amazing! THANKS JOE!:cool:
So I think this all happened for a reason but its a good lesson, my car only had 33K but it was a non-svt 2.5L so it needed to go anyways:laugh:

Back