• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need some help....Car bogging down

sportracer

CEG'er
Car is running fine with no codes, but as soon as you push the gas it bogs down and starts to backfire. We couldn't figure out what it is the car is running fine at idle. If anyone has any ideas please throw them out as I need to get this car fixed.

And this is for your 2.5 L 1998 Automatic?

It could be the IMRC is stuck on closed. But then again, that usually gives a P1518 code.

It could also be the fuel pump.

yes this is my 2.5 automatic. No codes are being thrown at all so it would have to be something that wouldn't throw a code. It runs fine when the accelerator is not push and as soon as you push it in it falls flat, then as soon as you release the gas it runs good again.

Jesse

Its been tuned a couple times in the last year, Its been having problems for a little while now and have been not drive able and finally took it to ford and they found out there was a loose wire on the pcm connector causing 12 codes to be thrown and also found out the MAF sensor was bad. So now no codes are being thrown and this is happening.

Ok I got my car back after ford couldn't figure out what was wrong. All my previous problems were fixed from my last thread i posted, It turned out to be a loose wire on the pcm connector and a bad MAF sensor. Now when I am driving when it is cold it seems like it is having trouble going, kinda like not having the power at the pedal. I had a lean code pop up today so I hope that helps figure out the problem. Ounce it gets warmed up it seems to run better but still feels a bit hesitant at the mid rpm range. Any ideas anyone.

P.S. My temp gauge does not work what could stop this?

Back