• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Focus vs Contour shift tower

shaggist

CEG'er
Does the Focus style shift tower on the Contour tranny have the same shift tower bolt shearing problems as the Contour style tower? Inquiring minds want to know.

as I recall the focus shift tower doesn't use the bolt but there are welds that can break and lead to the same no gear situation.

I'd rather not have a bolt head DROP into my trans (lots of spinny things) than have to reweld. Or you can you just get one of the pinned Focus towers from you know who. :shrug:

Last edited:
I'd rather not have a bolt head DROP into my trans (lots of spinny things) than have to reweld. Or you can you just get one of the pinned Focus towers from you know who. :shrug:

I agree. if a weld breaks all you have to do is get the tower out of the mtx and then replace or repair. with the bolt you are going to have to fish it out, and worse case remove and open teh mtx up to get it out.

I've been involved in 5 bolt removals and some of them took 5 seconds.... some of them took hours and the last one I found we were in the process of taking the transmission apart... I'm sending my tower in to get "fixed" so I can bang (gears) with confidence :cool:

It would be nice to get some pics up in the stickies of the standard contour tower and the problematic bolt as well as the focus tower and the welds in question.

Seems this topic has been quiet lately, but those who have been around more than a year know it comes up often enough.

Thoughts?

I've been involved in 5 bolt removals and some of them took 5 seconds.... some of them took hours and the last one I found we were in the process of taking the transmission apart... I'm sending my tower in to get "fixed" so I can bang (gears) with confidence :cool:

I wasn't able to get my bolt out until I was able to take my tranny, hold it in my hands, and shake the :censored::censored::censored::censored: out of it! :mad: Oh well. I found a TH, fully built, and just replaced it with that.

I wasn't able to get my bolt out until I was able to take my tranny, hold it in my hands, and shake the :censored::censored::censored::censored: out of it! :mad: Oh well. I found a TH, fully built, and just replaced it with that.

I almost did that with my car, but finally found the bolt. I am going to be sending my tower to TH as soon as I get a core to send him... I kinda daily drive may car to work and need the shift tower :laugh:

little knew to the problems with the trannys. By getting it "fixed" do you mean just getting the bolt welded on?

little knew to the problems with the trannys. By getting it "fixed" do you mean just getting the bolt welded on?

no. and welding the bolt isn't going to stop it from breaking. the tower can be keyed so that the bolt doesn't take all or as much stress on its own. this will help prevent the bolt breaking and the loss of gears.

I've welded the bolt on - it worked for awhile. I pretty sure the bolt snapped but the welded head kept it from falling out until the leverage of the sheared bolt finally broke the welds off...

PICT0002.jpg

If I do weld it again for someone else I'm going to crank up the heat and burn that SOB in deep. If it breaks, it is as easy as grinding the welds and removing the bolt and re-welding.

Back