• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

suspension help!!!!!

pithon987

Hard-core CEG'er
hey there guys i just wanted to get some help with my car.....a couple months ago the front suspension went out so i bought new struts,mounts,both control arms which are dorman, Moog sway bar end links and even found i had a broken cv joint the springs seem good so i put the oem ones back my car has 140k miles i still have the same popping noise coming from my LCA and a sound that sound like if rubber were moving from the drivers side it might be the little rubber piece on the tower where the struts tighten up to but i remember tightening them pretty good and that same sound isn't coming from my passengers side.........:confused::mad:

Alternatives

Alternatives

I hear that you've replaced a ton of items and you still have the pop. Is that pop a clunk? When does it occur? Cornering, small bumps in the road, during acceleration or deceleration?

Did the control arms come with ball joints in?
You did not mention tie rod ends in your list of replacements.
Finally, I had a clunk with the motor mount. The car would make a 'ka donk a donk donk' sound as I rolled through stop and go traffic.

help

help

yes my car does this as soon as i hit the gas pedal not as much when i stop but when i turn sometimes also mainly when im stopped and i hit the gas:shrug:

please dont listen to aliasjerk. diagnose a problem before you just go throwing parts at it.

aliasjerk is probably right, if you havent replaced those i would check them first, tie rod ends are cheap and if i threw all those other parts on i would most likely change those anyhow. were not talking about complex engine diagnostics here. throwing parts at it is gonna help and all that stuff under his car is/ was crap anyways

aliasjerk is probably right, if you havent replaced those i would check them first, tie rod ends are cheap and if i threw all those other parts on i would most likely change those anyhow. were not talking about complex engine diagnostics here. throwing parts at it is gonna help and all that stuff under his car is/ was crap anyways

while i agree, that is the most probable cause. its just that he always goes jumping to conclusions and doesn't want to figure out problems the right way. thats not how we should be telling someone to fix their car. we should be giving advice on how to pinpoint the problem, then fix it. saves people money that way

while i agree, that is the most probable cause. its just that he always goes jumping to conclusions and doesn't want to figure out problems the right way. thats not how we should be telling someone to fix their car. we should be giving advice on how to pinpoint the problem, then fix it. saves people money that way

I agree. Even just a change of wording would make a world of difference. Saying "it could be your tie rod ends, might want to check that out" is way different than "it is your tie rod ends. Replace them."

:shrug:

It's just that I've seen threads where the OP has listened to bad advice and wasted a lot of money. And it isn't just from AliasJerk, don't get me wrong. Lots of people do it. Troubleshooting is just that...troubleshooting. You FIND OUT WHAT'S WRONG. :cool:

well i havent got to take a look at those things yet maybe next week but there not expensive so it couln't hurt.........but what about that rubbery sound that seems to come from the strut tower??

did you replace the upper strut mounts when you replaced the struts? if not that is probably your rubbery sound. if they are real bad it could be your clunk as well.

Back