• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P1121, other unknown code, engine runs badly…

Bob Blaylock

CEG'er
1996 Mercury Mystique GS, Zetec engine

As I was leaving work tonight, my Check Engine light came on. The car otherwise ran just fine all the way home.

On getting home, I hooked up my OBD-2 system, and retrieved a code, which is now lost, but I think I remember that the description said something like “MAF input low”. For some reason, when I try to play back the recording, I cannot now retrieve this code from it. Very shortly thereafter, my engine started running very poorly. It would stall unless I held the throttle open, and then, it would run very unevenly.

Somewhere in the course of all this, I reset the PCM, clearing the original code. After some more fiddling, I got a pending code P1121, with the description “Throttle Position Sensor A inconsistent with MAF/MAP sensor (See P0068).

Any ideas? I suppose the most obvious guess might be that the throttle position sensor has failed; would that be consistent with the other symptoms? And if so, how big a job is it to replace it? I suppose that last question will be answered when I dig out the factory service manual that i have buried somewhere.

I guess where I am at is that tomorrow I need to attempt to fix this myself, and if I can't to give up early enough to still have time to take it to a mechanic.

clean ur maf first. it does sound like the tps also. with the idle and throttle issues n all... it only takes a min or two to replace it. its bolted onto ur throttlebody. remove and replace. ur car is a pre98. so am hoping it's the same way its hooked up. if not, search around here a bit more or go to autozone.com for repair info.

clean ur maf first. it does sound like the tps also. with the idle and throttle issues n all... it only takes a min or two to replace it. its bolted onto ur throttlebody. remove and replace. ur car is a pre98. so am hoping it's the same way its hooked up. if not, search around here a bit more or go to autozone.com for repair info.

Fortunately, the mechanic who ended up repairing my car is someone who possesses at least normal levels of literacy and intelligence. But then I would have known better in the first place to take any advice from someone who is so stupid that he cannot even spell simple words, such as “and” or “your”.

Sadly, it seems that the same plague of illiteracy and just plain stupidity that is infesting much of the rest of the net has found it way to CEG as well.

It's no coincidence that the word “dumb” has two apparently dissimilar meanings, which are intricately linked; referring both to a lack of intelligence and to an inability to communicate in a useful manner.

Fortunately, the mechanic who ended up repairing my car is someone who possesses at least normal levels of literacy and intelligence. But then I would have known better in the first place to take any advice from someone who is so stupid that he cannot even spell simple words, such as “and” or “your”.

Sadly, it seems that the same plague of illiteracy and just plain stupidity that is infesting much of the rest of the net has found it way to CEG as well.

It's no coincidence that the word “dumb” has two apparently dissimilar meanings, which are intricately linked; referring both to a lack of intelligence and to an inability to communicate in a useful manner.

First of all, your tone is uncalled for and unacceptable in this forum. This forum is open to all (under certain rules). Good grammar and spelling are not two of the requirements.

If you do not like someone else's communication (or lack of) skills, there is this button called "ignore" that you can turn on and you will not see the member's posts anymore.

Please note that I am a Moderator on this forum.

Now, back to the issue at hand. P1121. Throttle Position sensor inconsistent wiht MAF sensor conditions.

Some causes are:
1) Air leak between MAF sensor and throttle body.
2) MAF sensor damaged.
3) TP sensor not seated properly.
4) TP sensor damaged.

:laugh: seriously? i honestly have no words... am i the only one who finds this funny?

Back