• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is car car about to die??

pinionlc

New CEG'er
So, I have this 98 contour SE with 203K on it, and I think its about to die.

It had been running fine (with its fair share of small problems, i.e. oil leak, etc.) until I got the oil changed. Now, it seems as if after a coupe of miles, it wants to hesitate. As in, I push the gas, the RPMs go up, but there is barely any forward thrust even at high speeds.

Also, after driving for about 2 minutes, the red oil light begins to come on and it sounds like the engine is knocking at low RPMs at idle.

To conclude, I also noticed that my check engine light (which was on all the time before) now blinks when the car starts to do this hesitation thing. It blinks. I counted 47, 50, and 53 if that matters.

How can I fix this?? Any boy am I mad that I can't get a govt. rebate for this thing!

Adam

Oil light on for Duratec? Engine is shot. Need a 3L put in or rebuild the engine.

thinking of just getting a new car. will prob run this thing into the ground.

Flashing CEL is a major misfire... and youre gonna destroy the cat.

Oil light on while running= NOT GOOD.

What kind of car just to clarify?

Major misfire as in the engine is misfiring, or as a major problem?? I know, one in the same....but still.

Engine misfiring badly... If you can, limp it to an autozone or oreilly's and check what codes you have. But if it wont run decent enough dont risk it. Although there has probably been enough damage to the engine already.

I can get it to an auto store no prob. It seems that 15 miles is pretty much its limit nowadays before it likes to go kaput.

I believe it was 10w-40 that went out (5000 or so miles running it), and btw apparently there was only 1 quart in the engine when it got changed. 10w-30 went in I presume.

I believe it was 10w-40 that went out (5000 or so miles running it), and btw apparently there was only 1 quart in the engine when it got changed. 10w-30 went in I presume.

On a 6 qt engine? Way to check oil weekly.:rolleyes: Silly not to run factory spec 5w-30 also.

Back