• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Car... The Wheel Bearing Destroyer

JEFFtourCT

CEG'er
yes, my car is now going through number two!

I brought it in to my buddy again, and he says it is in fact the wheel bearing. this time he is going to replace the whole steering knuckle thing, wheel hub what-cha-ma-call-it... he found a used one for cheap, and i still have the 60 day warrenty on the wheel bearing from pepboys, ah!

well if the bearing was not pressed in correctly then the bearing will fail again .... also the hub can go bad from having a bearing pressed into it wrong .... so getting another hub and getting a new bearing is a good idea ....

if you still have trouble I have hubs with bearing froma 2k SVT, not sure what condition the bearings are in ....

Me Too!!!

Me Too!!!

So I finally brought the car in to get looked at today.

I need to replace the passenger side wheel bearing. I will be replacing both though. I also need to replace the ABS sensor, not sure which side, they need to run a diagnostic and that cost $$ so I said no.

The bearings run about $50.

Is there any manufacturer that you guys prefer. NAPA had two different kinds. One was $23 and the other was $49, and yes, I know you get what you pay for.
Team Ford has them for $38 hopefully Bill will PM me back

Has anyone had any experience replacing these?

Last edited:
i always go with the more expensive, cause like you said, you get what you pay for

i had a nice day with the contour today...felt a wierd vibration front the front left wheel, got to my parents house popped off the center cap and a wheel stud and lug nut fall out...and 2 more were loose, went to tighten them up, snapped another one, so then i had to go pick up to studs and a couple nuts and replace them in darkness thanks to the time the sun sets now, but all is well again and i friggin love my new short throw!

as I stated in your other thread Timken is a big name in bearings and they provide bearing to Ford already ... so go oem or with a good name in bearings ... when you see the size of the thing you will want to spend the money on a good one ... my local parts store had a Timken bearing for about $45 ...

everything has been pressed and torked to correction, my buddy called ford himself and made sure the numbers were right.. he found a used assembly for 60 bucks or so, i just want her to run her best

AH i just read the how to for the wheel knuckle/bearing thread and it says 208ft/lbs of torque! i just called the shop and told him to do 208! he even said him self that 251 sounded to high, so what he said is that he was the mechanic.. and i told them that i was reading it from the website in bold lettering.. i called ford and they said that 251 sounded to high.. and in the process i was watching the video of the new Shelby GT 500.. i want one.. and for only 43,000 i think we should all get a couple.. shotty yellow..

my car is running great now! but i am still keeping an eye out for anything that seems funny.. now i'm getting paranoid because when im sitting in the car and its running i here this little ticking.. and i just got the oil changed like 2 days ago.. oil pump maybe? its a very faint :cheeche cheeche cheeche: sound.. (hope you know what that means..lol)

my car is running great now! but i am still keeping an eye out for anything that seems funny.. now i'm getting paranoid because when im sitting in the car and its running i here this little ticking.. and i just got the oil changed like 2 days ago.. oil pump maybe? its a very faint :cheeche cheeche cheeche: sound.. (hope you know what that means..lol)

could be valve tick, check your oil level make sure its up to where it should be

Back