• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil in the intake?

ZeroHour

Mod/Salad Tosser
I went to do my manifold swap and LIM cleaning and got a nasty little surprise.

on the front right hand cyclinder (facing the motor from front of car). there was oil residue in the LIM and UIM. I also noted an oil coating on the PCV value.

Any suggestions? The car had been run about an hour before the rip down started. It sat yesterday, but I drove it friday, saturday, sunday. Its kinda hard to guess how long the film has been in the intake.

Other notables:
-The temp guage became stuck in november. Motor is not over heating. Pretty sure the sending unit just pooped. Its on the list of things to do this week.
-Oil is Mobile1 5000 which was topped up to 5 3/4to 6 quarts last change @ a little past 75K. Milage is 77733 (not kidding). Oil looks fine and unburnt. But Is a year old. (I hit 75K novment last year, changed oil over christmas)
-I drove about an hour each way to my internship last Tuesday.
Car does not have oil burn indications ei black/blue hue smoke. But with 3 cats, how can you tell? lol

Any suggestions, besides that my motor is probably on the way out? I'm going to guess that the rings are half-dead on the cyclinder and that it maybe be spraying when the motor is at high revs. Or that the motor actually got to normal operating temp on Tuesday when I drove it a distance then the rings leaked.

Or that you are experiencing "blow-by", but that would be pretty "confined" for typical blow-by symptoms, as it would usually be more spread out and also within the intake tract from its injection point onward.

A compression test is free..
also, test/replace your PCV valve and see if it clears it up.

The PCV has like 2000 miles on it. I did that over last winter as well as the oil and the IAC and couple other maintaince things.

Does advance auto do compression tests?

Also how does that happen exactly? I would like to know as blow by is a new thing to me, and its always good to broaden your knowledge.

As mentioned to me by another CEGer, upon seeing oil collecting in the bottom of my air intake box- check your oil separator and make sure it isn't clogged (at least on the Zetec).

Back