• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Almost owned by crapbox Cavalier

Man, other sites sure do have a different feel to them. I decided to visit that jbody site and I wanted to gouge my eyes out at all the ugly body kitted cavys in people's sigs. I'm almost glad that there's limited aesthetic aftermarket for our cars b/c the same thing would probably happen.

Yeah, there's something about hanging all that gingerbread on cars that were meant to be econoboxes. ugh. To each his own.

I'd rather put the money into mechanicals and leave the outside rather plain.

Better shock value when you blow all those body pieces off their cars so badly they won't even look you in the eye if they finally ever do catch up with you.

I swear, if I have to listen to one more fart can exhaust on some POS riced out hon/toy/niss/baru, I'll scream.

I got beat off the line by a full size Jeep, with a Diesel engine! He was ahead of me until the top of first gear.....all because I missed the lights. Of course once I changed into second, he ended up in my rear view so quickly it was like he was going backwards.

Point is, screwing up the lauch on a car where you only have a difference of a second or two between 0-60/70's whatever, means you've lost the advantage of having the quicker car.

I got beat off the line by a full size Jeep, with a Diesel engine! He was ahead of me until the top of first gear.....all because I missed the lights. Of course once I changed into second, he ended up in my rear view so quickly it was like he was going backwards.

Point is, screwing up the lauch on a car where you only have a difference of a second or two between 0-60/70's whatever, means you've lost the advantage of having the quicker car.

Ronan! Where the hell have you been? :D Long time no see, if you know what I mean.

Drag racing the contour is pointless unless you have a 3L or FI. Even then..

Take the car to a roadcourse and own cars that cost 3 times as much as yours. Thats super fun.

Drag racing the contour is pointless unless you have a 3L or FI. Even then..

Take the car to a roadcourse and own cars that cost 3 times as much as yours. Thats super fun.

Word. My first time out I was reeling in a Ford GT through the esses at the Glen and my instructor said, "feels good when you're getting stuck behind a GT40, huh?" It's all driver out there, and the Contour makes it soooooo easy to be fast.

traction is key in puting power to the ground. just ask anyone with a built turbo contour . if you can't put the power to the ground you will always get walked on by someone that can.

i doubt the cavi was laying a wheel all the way through first gear.

once you got traction you started pulling huh.

try sliping the clutch at about 3K rpms instead. dumping the clutch will always lead to wheel spin.

if you continue to dump the clutch in the svt you will soon find your self in the land of broken,trannymounts, engine mounts, snapped cv axels, and broken differentials , along with blad tires. the only thing worse than that
is paying for costs or repair .

the ecotec motor has a lot of potential. Theres a guy on the jbody forum who posted a video a 14 second flat run NA, all that took was a ported cylinder head and a good tune. My brother has a 04 sunfire with the gm supercharger kit, i think his best time is a 14.2, the car has a lot more in it though and he needs to learn to launch better.

First off all you had a bad launch. Having a 97 Z24 I know that they are quick not fast cars. What I always say is never think you are the king of the streets cause their is always someone out their that is faster. You never know now with cars. People mod what they have and make it work. Check out www.j-body.org some people make the cavalier/sunfires really fly.

Still I would rather have an SVTC over a cavy.:cool:

Member of JBO as well...also check out cavi Aftermarket at http://www.rksport.com

the ecotec motor has a lot of potential. Theres a guy on the jbody forum who posted a video a 14 second flat run NA, all that took was a ported cylinder head and a good tune. My brother has a 04 sunfire with the gm supercharger kit, i think his best time is a 14.2, the car has a lot more in it though and he needs to learn to launch better.

ECOTEC's are nothing to sneeze at.....The head of GM'ssssssss some division I am not sure if it was R&D or what, ticked me off when I had the Stique cuz there was a pic with him inside the dyno room with an ECO sitting on a chair with this defiant pose glaring at this new motor from GM that had all kinds of parts thrown at it making gobs of power daring it to blow up and it held. The Cobalt SS is a destroked ECO for the Supercharger and other go fast goodies. They do have GM Superchargers that bolt on for some green and they had a book from GM that was a go fast cookbook that you could get. They had it in the Cavalier glossy book that you could get and thumb through at your local GM store. There are several instances of the ECOTEC being used in drag applications. What made me buy mine? I was able to bark all the way up to 3rd in it as well as doing some pretty nice burnouts with it. :help:My reaction was :shocked:

Just remember kids there is a difference between the 2.2 or 2200 and the 2.2/2.0 ECOTEC. If you got the hurt put on you by the 2200 then I would ask about power adders and then begin to check out your car. My wife had a 2200 Sunfire and it didn't have the same potential as my ECOTEC. It was severly underpowered I thought. The other thing to consider is that the ECOTEC IIRC is based on a Toyota motor design.

I have fun watching some jaws drop with the cavi

L8R
Rich

I had a Saturn Ion with 2.2L ecotec.

Fun car and we traded it on on the Volvo S40...a More Fun and faster car. :cool:

The ecotec had a lot of aftermarket even then and so did the Ion. The Cobalt came out the year after I traded in my Saturn.

I put lowering springs and 17" wheels on my saturn, as well as a 15" JBL sub, interior speakers, and a JVC mp3 deck. It was pretty nice for all that but in the end it still lacked a lot of what I wanted. I decided better to get a higher end car then to build a simple car up to it.

oh and i should add. my buddy has a 2.2 ecotec cavi with a 100 shot of spray on it, we raced, my car with bottle against his car with bottle, same shot.....i tapped the button one time in second gear to make sure i could pull away from him, but after that, his car + bottle couldnt catch me and like i said i didnt bottle all the way through (he's my buddy i didnt wanna make him look bad either) and then later we were on the freeway from a 60 roll we both sprayed and i pulled 5+ cars on him before we got to 90. accelleration with nitrous is just insane, i couldnt tell you how he was running his system, but i was running right on the edge of red so im sure i was getting a great HP gain from my bottle, pressure is everything when you talk about nitrous systems..

oh and i should add. my buddy has a 2.2 ecotec cavi with a 100 shot of spray on it, we raced, my car with bottle against his car with bottle, same shot.....i tapped the button one time in second gear to make sure i could pull away from him, but after that, his car + bottle couldnt catch me and like i said i didnt bottle all the way through (he's my buddy i didnt wanna make him look bad either) and then later we were on the freeway from a 60 roll we both sprayed and i pulled 5+ cars on him before we got to 90. accelleration with nitrous is just insane, i couldnt tell you how he was running his system, but i was running right on the edge of red so im sure i was getting a great HP gain from my bottle, pressure is everything when you talk about nitrous systems..

That is because our duratec engines respond extremely well to nitrous. I know exactly what you are talking about from when I ran nitrous on my 2.5l. This engine for some reason makes more power on the same size shot than many other cars. :shrug:

I'd say... without a doubt... yes. they don't take too MUCH boost, but what they CAN take.. they take well.

traction, on the other hand.. well.. you know what its like with nitrous... so..

lol

yep.....it's real tempting to get somethin RWD but i'm too attatched to the CSVT now...... hopefully the front roll resister inserts will help some wheel hop, my upper trans mount "mod" helped a ton!

image.jpg

Pretty unassuming Cav huh, check this out, blown up in all its glory
image.jpg

When I was at the track this past spring I watched this non-Z/24, stock appearing exept for the BFG drag radials on the front (it had its stock rims on the back), no body kit or winged Cavalier LS run a 12.0@110 mph. BTW the car was a stick, owned by a well spoken H.S. senior about to go off and serve his country:cool: The tow vehicle would've beaten you too, sorry, duellie Dodge w/ Cummins turbo diesel that ran a 14.2. I asked the guy why they trailered the Cav and he said they just got the cars bugs worked out and didn't want to take any chances. Look for this car around Utica Michigan but be careful:eek:

Back