• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transmission Error Codes

kouksie

CEG'er
Hello,
I drive a 1998 Contour SE, 2 liter, 4 cylinder automatic.

I was on the highway a couple days ago, and my car was acting up. I would hit the gas and the RPM's would go up as normal, but the transmission wouldn't down-shift, and when it finally would shift, it was VERY lurchy. I checked my fluids, all were normal. It seemed to happen after an hour of driving. I would turn the car off for a half hour or so, and then the car would drive normally for about an hour, then start shifting irregularly at random speeds. I stopped in a town with a diagnostic tool, and the error code was "708". They looked it up, and apparently is a transmission sensor error, which causes erratic, irregular shifting. They assured me that it would be safe to drive, so I made it home.

I took my car to the dealership, and ran the diagnostics, and tell me they are recieving no 'error' codes, and that it may be that my overdrive switch is not working. My O/D switch has not worked since 2000, and I find it hard to believe that it would be caused by an O/D problem.

I'm unsure of what to say. I told the dealership to look at the car again, because I was floored that they were getting no error messages, when I saw people hook up diagnostics to the car and saw the display message of 708. The car needs to go out on the highway, and I can't afford to be lurching again on a one-lane highway.

I hope this is specific enough, but I would appreciate some input/suggestions. If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them in order to get some more advice. I'm just tired of the dealership!

Thanks!

.... I'm just tired of the dealership!

Thanks!

Who isn't?

Seriously, your syptoms are of an intermittent Transmission Range (TR) sensor.

The sensor is mounted on the top of the transmission and tells the computer what position the gearshift lever is in. When they get flakey, the computer gets confused and responds by increasing the EPC pressure which results in much stiffer shifts than normal.

I don't know if the TR sensor is available aftermarket or if you'll have to visit a dealership parts department or not.

Steve

Hello.

I have a 97 Contour with the 4 cylinder as well. Recently, I've noticed that the overdrive light (OD Off indicator on the instrument panel) has been flashing on and off. Since that has started, the car has been shifting differently (stiffer, later).

Trans fluid level is fine.

Wondering if this syptom may be an indication of an issue with the TR Sensor.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hello.

I have a 97 Contour with the 4 cylinder as well. Recently, I've noticed that the overdrive light (indicator on the instrument panel) has been flashing on and off. Since that has started, the car has been shifting differently (stiffer, later).

Thoughts?
What is the speedometer doing when the "OD off" light is flashing? If it is going crazy, then it is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. When was the last time you changed the tranny fluid? If more than 2 years/24k miles, try changing that too.

You may have to send it in for a one hour tranny diagnosis and get the tranny codes. Then post the codes here.

The speedometer is fine. It is functioning normally while the OD off light is flashing.

It has been a while since the trans fluid has been changed. Fluid itself doesn't look bad.

One other thing I want to note..... I have had issues with the timing belt where it kept "walking" off (I have a post within Zetec Maintenance forum). It's been in the shop at least 4 times since Sept due to this timing belt. Gone through 4 timing belts. The idler pulleys have been replaced, as well as the tensioner.

From googling the syptoms I'm seeing, I found a post on carsurvey.com where someone had the same problem I am experiencing. Their resolution ended up being replacing the timing belt and tensioner. They also had to re-calibrated the Power Control Module.

Guess I need to take the car back in for this timing belt again! Very frustrating. :(

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the advice! I tend to believe the small-town diagnostic people over the dealershop people. They're pretty pissed off at me for not doing the work they suggested. Probably more ticked that I am blatantly telling them they are wrong. Oops!

Ermm...

Ermm...

Welcome. :) . Thread with Transmission Range Sensor aka Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS) issue.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=3460&highlight=mlps

So...call me a complete dipstick (pardon the pun), but is that just a transmission flush? If so, I do them religiously every year. My fluid is still red/pink from the last round. The guys looking at my car were rather impressed that I do it yearly. They claimed that most people only do it when they know they need to. I treat my car well.
I truly think it's a sensor. I want to slap the transmission guy's face off. In fact, I do believe it's time to have a heart-to-heart tomorrow at the dealership.
*pulls claws out*
Again, I thank you for your input!

Hello.

I have a 97 Contour with the 4 cylinder as well. Recently, I've noticed that the overdrive light (OD Off indicator on the instrument panel) has been flashing on and off. Since that has started, the car has been shifting differently (stiffer, later).

Thoughts?

Until you have the codes read, all you can do is guess..which is a pretty poor way to perform a diagnosis.

With the fault codes, a more informed idea can be formed.

Steve

That's exactly what I did, Steve. Got error codes:

P0732 - which I believe is in regard to 2nd gear ratio.
P0734 - which I believe is in regard to 4th gear ratio.

So...call me a complete dipstick (pardon the pun), but is that just a transmission flush? .........
I truly think it's a sensor. .......

The MLPS is just that, a sensor.

As for the tranny oil, a 3x drain and refill is exactly that. Drain, refill, drain, refill, drain, refill.

That's exactly what I did, Steve. Got error codes:

P0732 - which I believe is in regard to 2nd gear ratio.
P0734 - which I believe is in regard to 4th gear ratio.

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0732 [/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Improper Ratio for Second Gear.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0734 [/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Improper Ratio for Fourth Gear. [/FONT]

Your 2nd and 4th gear solenoid is not working properly. Time for a tranny rebuild.

Last edited:
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0732 [/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Improper Ratio for Second Gear.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0734 [/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Improper Ratio for Fourth Gear. [/FONT]

Your 2nd and 4th gear solenoid is not working properly. Time for a tranny rebuild.

Yup, that is what I have determined today.

Discussing this with the wife, we're just going to put the car up for sale as a fixer upper. We were planning to purchase a car this spring. Since we had this planned, we figure we'll just buy now.

We've put a lot into the car in the last year.

- New timing, idler pulleys, tensioner
- Water pump
- ball joint and tie rod (passenger side)
- new headlights.
- A/C recharged (blows cold)
- Set of tires (approx 1 year)

It's in good shape and runs very well (other than the delay shift in trans due to recent development of the trans. started to occur last night). Just time to move on.

Last edited:
Probably just a solenoid pack.

Can be replaced in a couple of hours for around $150 or so for parts.

Ya gotta do whatever is necessary...

Steve

Back